Used Whiskey Barrel Shavings for Oaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberlord

Reaction score
I recently bought a used whiskey barrel planter form the local home supply store.

As I drilled 1 inch drainage holes in the bottom I noticed the strong smell of whiskey. I grabbed up all the shavings from each hole and put them in a ziplock bag. They smell wonderfully of a nice whiskey.

I have about a 1/4 full 1 gallon zip bag in the freezer.

I'm thinking of toasting some of these and oaking some cider on it.

Any reasons I shouldn't?

Sounds like a good plan, I don't know if roasting will kill the nasties or if you need to boil them. I would think steaming would be better than boiling to avoid drawing out to much flavor.

A 10 minute roast at 400 degrees? I don't think much will survive. There was enough alcohol in the deeper wood that I'm not worried about nastiness there either. It's the surface wood I'm worried about. If I had planned it instead of accidentally finding it I'd have discarded the first layer of wood shavings and only kept the deeper wood. 20/20 hindsight and all. :rolleyes:

Back