Used primer and cement on drain manifold for mash tun. Is this a problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregmosu

Reaction score
I put together a drain manifold out of CPVC for mash tun and had to glue it together because it wouldn't stay connected otherwise. You can see in the attached picture that I used purple primer to clean the pieces up a bit as well. I can't smell the primer, but I can still smell the cement if I put my nose up to the drain holes. I've done some searching, but I still can't fine any definitive answers.

Is this safe to use if I let it dry a bit longer?

I've always used cement for plumbing when using cpvc, but I can't get past the fact that after 4 days, there's still an odor.

EDIT: I'm now considering using PEX tubing and fittings if the odor doesn't go away soon.. or if someone on here posts back and says that what I did isn't safe.

Thanks!

MT.JPG

That type of pipe/primer/glue gets used for plumbing all the time... I would try and boil it for a little while to sanitize it and see if that helps the smell go away.

It's probably just fine, but PEX rocks in so many ways it isn't funny... What I ended up doing when I was still using a cooler was even cheaper though, I bought a curtain panel from Wally World for $1.50 and used bungee cords and used that as my filter bed... worked great....

Though to answer your first question? Once the volatiles dry out you'll be fine.

Good thing you used CVPC though, it's not as soft at those temperatures... PEX is even better.. that nylon curtain.. even better... ;)

The cleaning solvent and PVC cement is great for drain pipes, but I don't think they were meant to be used for potable water supply or contact with any food processing equipment. I would definitely go with another construction idea

I would recreate the same thing and use no cement. It is not really necessary for an application where you are only talking low volume gravity feed. Use a box cutter and score each piece a few times at the location of the fitting and tap everything together with a hammer. It will work fine and no adhesive/acetone/primer/chemicals in the mix at all.

The glue and primer is toxic and can leech chemicals into your brew when heated up. As redlantern stated, build a new one but don't glue it together, just hand fit it all. There isn't any water pressure that will exert force on the pipes so no need to glue them together. Some brewers who make their manifolds using copper pipe do not solder them together they just hand fit them so they can pull them apart after to clean them better.

EDIT: According to Oatey's website, they state that their PVC glues and primers are drinking water safe:

- Are Oatey cements safe to use on water lines that carry drinking (potable) water?
 All Oatey PVC and CPVC solvent cements have been tested to NSF standards and are approved
with use on drinking (potable) water systems.

But no mention of hot water which could soften the glue and allow chemicals to still leech IMHO.

EDIT: According to Oatey's website, they state that their PVC glues and primers are drinking water safe:

- Are Oatey cements safe to use on water lines that carry drinking (potable) water?
 All Oatey PVC and CPVC solvent cements have been tested to NSF standards and are approved
with use on drinking (potable) water systems.

But no mention of hot water which could soften the glue and allow chemicals to still leech IMHO.

Thanks for looking this up. It should be safe for hot water since cpvc is for both hot and cold water lines in houses. Also, CPVC is capable of handling water up to 200 degrees.

Thanks for all the replies. I will try boiling it and then soaking in some PBW. Hopefully that will eliminate the smell.

I really wish I'd thought to use PEX tubing first.. but hindsite is 20/20. Also I did put a good amount of time and money into this one and it even has a cleanout where I can attach a garden hose to blow out any remnants.

my manifold fits together very loosely...

UNTIL I start adding hot water, then things get fairly snug and no problems staying attached in the mash

There's a big difference between potable drinking water and the temperatures seen in house plumbing vs. a mash tun. The higher temperature could cause a problem, though I haven't seen any documentation to support either side. But I've used a cpvc manifold that's not cemented with great success for 9 brews so far. Never once had an issue with it coming apart. And the fact that it comes apart makes cleaning easier.

Back