Used my Blichmann burner for the first time today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Reaction score
and man was it awesome!! At first I was having some frustration. I was getting a yellow flame and when I opened the air damper it only got worse and more aggressive so I kept dialing it back. I was getting disappointed how long it was taking to bring the temp up toward a boil and when the wife came outside I was telling her about it and I messed with it further and to my surprise when I fully opened the air damper it when from a wild aggressive yellow flame to a nice steady bright blue like it's supposed to. After that the temp climb was insane!!! I got to a boil in no time, no more yellow flame sooting the bottom of the kettle and half blowing out cause of the wind. It was windy out today and with the tight blue flame it resisted wind amazingly.

Anyhow, I am uber happy about this burner now and brewing outside. So much time saved. Like a ******* though I started my preboil volume before adding in the extract and wound up with a lower OG. I've learned from it though and won't do that again. Next time I will add the extract then fill to the intended preboil volume and return to a boil. The thing that kills me is I learned that already somewhat doing partial boils on the stove and just totally forgot it as it was my first time doing a full boil outside. Meh, live and learn!

Rev.

and man was it awesome!! At first I was having some frustration. I was getting a yellow flame and when I opened the air damper it only got worse and more aggressive so I kept dialing it back. I was getting disappointed how long it was taking to bring the temp up toward a boil and when the wife came outside I was telling her about it and I messed with it further and to my surprise when I fully opened the air damper it when from a wild aggressive yellow flame to a nice steady bright blue like it's supposed to. After that the temp climb was insane!!! I got to a boil in no time, no more yellow flame sooting the bottom of the kettle and half blowing out cause of the wind. It was windy out today and with the tight blue flame it resisted wind amazingly.

Anyhow, I am uber happy about this burner now and brewing outside. So much time saved. Like a ******* though I started my preboil volume before adding in the extract and wound up with a lower OG. I've learned from it though and won't do that again. Next time I will add the extract then fill to the intended preboil volume and return to a boil. The thing that kills me is I learned that already somewhat doing partial boils on the stove and just totally forgot it as it was my first time doing a full boil outside. Meh, live and learn!

Rev.

Getting to know your equipment is sometimes trial and error, but once figured out its awesome. I have the blichmann burner as well, although it was dialed in rather quickly but i just love how quite it is....i can actually think while brewing and spark up a conversation and actually hear the other person. I wanna buy another one soon, plus there so damn good looking...

Yeah, I LOVE mine. Worth every penny.

My friend has one of those Bayou Classic turkey fryers, and it sounds like a jet engine. This is nice and quiet, heats quickly, and stays nice and shiny (..as if that's important.. well, to me it is anyway :)). I also like that it's protected from the wind, and has adjustable "arms" on it to keep the pot in place.

Here's mine humming along at a nice rolling boil. I took this pic to show off my expensive heat shield I built for the site gauge:
SightGlassShield.jpg

At first I was having some frustration. I was getting a yellow flame and when I opened the air damper it only got worse and more aggressive so I kept dialing it back. I was getting disappointed how long it was taking to bring the temp up toward a boil and when the wife came outside I was telling her about it and I messed with it further and to my surprise when I fully opened the air damper it when from a wild aggressive yellow flame to a nice steady bright blue like it's supposed to. After that the temp climb was insane!!! I got to a boil in no time, no more yellow flame sooting the bottom of the kettle and half blowing out cause of the wind. It was windy out today and with the tight blue flame it resisted wind amazingly.
Thanks for posting this. I too was frustrated with the results while trying to balance the air/gas mix on my first go. Fully opening the damper resolved my problem as well.

I have two of them one with leg extensions and one without. Best money I've ever spent.

I've only used mine once, but I know it wasn't money wasted. I freaking love how quiet it is and not having to worry about paint being burned off.

I'm debating on getting the leg extensions on mine. Wished they made a set that would raise it half the height of the extensions.

I compared with my friend and it seems I get several more brews per propane tank through the Blich than he does with his turkey burner. Eventually it will even out price-wise.

I'm debating on getting the leg extensions on mine. Wished they made a set that would raise it half the height of the extensions.

Cinder blocks.

That's awesome to hear. I have mine waiting at the house for me. I get home tomorrow and will use it this weekend.

Back