used Lactose for first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwing_al

http://www.homebrewmania.com/
Reaction score
I brewed a stout where I used Coffee, Cocoa and Lactose. I've never used lactose and I'm wondering if I will get sweetness out of 1lb. tasting the wort, it seemed a little too coffee-like, but I'll wait until fermentation is complete before jumping to conclusions. However, with 1lb of lactose in a 5g batch will this turn into a 'sweet stout' that I am after? I could add more to secondary if need be, but thought I'd ask the experts here. I'll be adding vanilla beans later...

thanks

I just brewed a 5 gallon batch of a sweet stout with 1lb of lactose. Turned out to be a great beer that I will certainly brew again. In most circles, I could have gotten away with not calling it a sweet stout, the lactose impression has some sweetness in a certain subtle way, but it's more noticeable in the body. Mashed 156F, 1062/1023. Overall I was expecting it to be more sweet than it was, but was pleasantly surprised when it wasn't.

1 lb of lactose is plenty to make a sweet stout, depending on the rest of the recipe. I find a pound almost too much, so I usually use 8-12oz in my stouts.

You should get some nice sweetness from that. I've used it in a coffee stout and chocolate stouts. Remember that it's non-fermentable so your FG will probably be about 1.022 or so.

Back