Used kegs v new kegs

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

HopSing

Reaction score
Well, that's sad! Sounds more like a commercial than an objective report..... I've had 4 used kegs from a variety of sources for more than 11 years of home brewing and they still work fine. I believe the secret (if there is one) is basic cleaning and sterilizing plus regular stripping down, replacing O-rings, etc. The whole idea of used kegs is a gift for those of us who are trying to keep down the cost per glass of homebrew. Thank you to the suppliers.
LOL. I can assure you I'm not on the payroll of any new keg manufacturer. I can also assure you I have several used kegs in my fleet that have worked flawlessly. My point was simply if you buy used you also buy how they were used and stored. That is not always conducive to good beer making. In my case, basic cleaning, sterilization, and replacing O-Rings would not have reduced the risk associated with the hidden rodents nest I found in a used keg. Serving a batch of Brown Ale Hantavirus or Salmonellosis IPA to my family and friends is not high on my to-do list. If you're willing to take that risk, good on ya. It's not worth a $40 price difference for me.

Gladly most used kegs are completely safe to use and do offer a good value. My objective advice to the OP was to source kegs, new or used, from a reputable outlet until you have gained the experience of what to look for when buying used from a private party. The additional cost per glass over the lifetime of the keg is pennies.

~HopSing.

LittleRiver

Reaction score
I went with all new kegs from AIH. They were only $75 each.

To me it was well worth it to start out with new kegs. They've given me zero problems.

golfindia

Reaction score
Ironically, I scored two 7.75 gal sankes this morning courtesy of craigslist......

Reaction score
I am using all used kegs from various purchases, almost all of them sourced from private sellers here on homebrewtalk. Other than one leaking lid, I have had no issues, and they averaged out to be $40. + $5. new keg seals/O-rings.

My question is this: how often do you change the rubber seals & O-rings on a keg? Is it a time frame or a # of batches run through the keg?

Peace,

Reevesie

Beermeister32

Reaction score
The O-rings on the posts and dip tubes replace maybe every 2 years. Can't say that I've ever had to replace the lid O-ring, it is a bit overkill for the task, and will likely last many years.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My question is this: how often do you change the rubber seals & O-rings on a keg? Is it a time frame or a # of batches run through the keg?

these days....when i notice my scale losing more than an ounce of co2.....or i have a fridge filled with beer, but that's a poppet.....lol

David Baker

Reaction score
The O-rings on the posts and dip tubes replace maybe every 2 years. Can't say that I've ever had to replace the lid O-ring, it is a bit overkill for the task, and will likely last many years.
I am using all used kegs from various purchases, almost all of them sourced from private sellers here on homebrewtalk. Other than one leaking lid, I have had no issues, and they averaged out to be $40. + $5. new keg seals/O-rings.

Peace,

Reevesie
The question resembles the one about "How long is a piece of string?" In 11 years and with 6 kegs I have changed a keg lid gasket once while O-rings and poppets maybe 3 times. Take care of them and they will serve you well.