Used Delta hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badlee

Reaction score
I recently received a whole kg of (UK I think) as a cheer up gift from my mum.
It was reduced by 72%!
Problem,if you want to call it that,is that I cannot find any info from people who have used Delta.
So,other than Cascade/Fuggle cross, can anybody give me personal experience?
Cheers

I've used them, but really didn't notice anything about them. A little disapointed I guess. I bought a pound several years ago, and still have half pound in the freezer I'll probably toss all of them in an ESB some time to use them up.

Ohhhhhh,not sounding too good.
Thanks for that.
Any more with any more?

I bought a half pound last year and used them as bittering hops in lagers and creme ales. I felt they were very crisp and clean as a bittering hop. Nothing really stuck out as far as special or unique flavors, but I thought they made an excellent BMC style beer.

If ever there was a back-handed compliment sir,I think that was it!
lol

I would avoid used delta hops, even if they'd only been a flavor or aroma addition and you're looking to bitter, they're probably gonna be a little gnarly from even a short wort dunking.

...seriously, if you've got a whole pound, could you maybe scale up your grain bill for a different batch, steal just a gallon of wort off the top, and do a small test batch? Shouldn't take more than an ounce or two to bitter, flavor, and aroma just a gallon of beer.

That, or you could just sprinkle a little tiny bit in a bottle of PBR or something, re-cap, and "dry hop" for a week... I don't even know which brewery, but one of 'em would do this to try out new hops.

Well buggee me.....
What is it about yhem you finf so gnarly feinbera?

Oh,they will be showcased,no doubt about that.
I just want to build a more detailed picture of them before I do

Cheers very much for that.
Thinking an English style low abv IPA that may be tripple dry hopped

Yes indeed.
I bloody well mash hopped it, hop bursted it and dry hopped it.
In an 8 litre batch, I used 500gr of hops.
I was not impressed AT ALL.
Almost no hop flavour or aroma.

I hate to hear that... I have an unopened pound of Delta that I want to use in something... oh well... thanks!

Did you ever try the Delta in an IPA?

I have used Delta several times in an IPA, I think it works well as a supplementary hop in a blend. When I have used Delta it was with 15 min. left in the boil, whirlpool, & dryhop. I perceived a melon, berry flavor when using it along with hops such as Simcoe, Amarillo. There were other hops I was using also, Cascade, Centennial, CTZ, but as long as you include some hops such as Mosaic, Simcoe, Amarillo it works well. I think Stone has always included Delta as part of the hop bill for Enjoy By IPA. Stan Hieronymus, in For the Love of Hops, said about Delta "adds distinctive notes in a blend". That is my experience also.

I have used Delta several times in an IPA, I think it works well as a supplementary hop in a blend. When I have used Delta it was with 15 min. left in the boil, whirlpool, & dryhop. I perceived a melon, berry flavor when using it along with hops such as Simcoe, Amarillo. There were other hops I was using also, Cascade, Centennial, CTZ, but as long as you include some hops such as Mosaic, Simcoe, Amarillo it works well. I think Stone has always included Delta as part of the hop bill for Enjoy By IPA. Stan Hieronymus, in For the Love of Hops, said about Delta "adds distinctive notes in a blend". That is my experience also.

thank you for the information... I will try them as an addition to my next IPA. I use Centennial quite a bit and also some Cascade and Simcoe. I think the addition of a little more flavors might be a good thing. :)
:mug:

Back