Use of older Coopers Kit yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinpanharry

Reaction score
So I purchased a Coopers Irish Stout extract kit. I also purchased some DME to boost the alcohol and flavor.

The BEST BEFORE date on the bottom of the can was 2 months ago, so I called the vendor and they said the prehopped LME is most likely fine, but that it's the yeast that gets old first in these kits and the BEST BEFORE date is set for the yeast, not really the LME. They are rushing new yeast to me.

I am considering boosting the gravity of the beer with DME, and using both the old and new yeast (or most of two packs).

Your thoughts? Will the old yeast ruin the batch or give off-flavors?

Thanks
TPH

One 11 gram pack of yeast, rehydrated, should be good for a beer up to an estimated OG of 1.060. It is either Coopers or Muntons, can't remember, that recommends 11 grams of yeast if the kit OG is increased with additional ingredients.
I would just use the fresh yeast, unless the packs of yeast are the 5 to 7 gram packs.

Disregard... didn't read well enough.

Good luck with your brew.

Last edited:
Back