Use of Fining Agents Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkctax

Reaction score
Maybe this is a stupid question, but the Instructions on Silafine say that it should ideally be added after fermentation is over, ideally at temperatures below 39 degrees farenheit. So if I am fermenting an IPA at from 65-68 degrees farenheit, would I crash the temperature at the end of the fermentation cycle to the 39 degrees and then add the Silafine and let it sit at the 39 degrees for 12-24 hours before kegging it? Would you filter via a inline micron filter first and transfer to a secondary fermenter before you chilled and added the fining agent? INterested on everyone's thoughts here. Thanks in advance

I've never used that product, but you just described exactly how I fine with gelatin. I crash down to under 40F (I shoot for 35 or so) and then add the gelatin and let it sit for about a day before transferring.

Back