Use London Ale 1318 instead of American Ale 1056 for a BLACK IPA ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garage12brewing

Reaction score
Hi everyone !

I would like to brew my first Black IPA next week and I do have two packs of London Ale 1318 at home... most recipe for Black IPA calls for American Ale 1056 yeast or US-05 etc... but I really like to use the London Ale 1318 for my IPA.... I use it for my NEIPA, Centennial/Vienna IPA etc.... I want to use some 2 row with some mMarris Otter that I have leftover... Caramunich III, Midnight wheat with Magnum, Centennial and Citra hops that I also have in stock....

I guess it would be right and safe to use for a Black IPA but anyone have use it before for that type of beer ?

What you do guys think ?

Thanks

Go for it, it will be yummy!
I really like 1318 in IPAs and NEIPAs, I don't see why it wouldn't work just as well for Black IPAs.

I have a ton of it from big starters, so it gets used, and reused. It also makes good ESBs...

One of the most awarded black ales at GABF since 2014 uses 1318. Same brewery has won medals for Cream ale and American Wheat with it along with numerous IPA medals.

It’s versatile yeast.

Should work great. Many breweries don't use 1056/001/US-05 for their IPA yeast anyways, and tend to go with an English strain instead. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to try it.

Back