US Beer breweries top 5300

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At first, I thought someone had bothered to rank the "Top 5,300" breweries in America. Glad to see that no one actually attempted that.

Sorry, "top" as in "surpassed". So of those numbers, the huge majority is craft breweries. There's a formula to account for the places that were purchased by the big breweries, but that's still a lot of local breweries.

Like I said we searched out a number of the locals while we were down south, and found several excellent breweries that were distributing locally. And some that were just opening their doors. It was gratifying to visit them. The importance of being earnest.....

Curious as to how much the market can expand to include all those breweries. As small local breweries (like the one I work at in PA) begin to grow they naturally take up more commercial space on shelves and taps in their local region/city. This is easily done in what small towns are left that don't have a brewery, but how much longer can new breweries keep popping up like this and still continue to thrive?

It's my dream to start my own brewery, but I hate to think that the "Craft Beer bubble" exists and may at some point burst. There are only so many ways you can make an IPA... not to be a negative Nancy over here.

Curious as to how much the market can expand to include all those breweries. As small local breweries (like the one I work at in PA) begin to grow they naturally take up more commercial space on shelves and taps in their local region/city. This is easily done in what small towns are left that don't have a brewery, but how much longer can new breweries keep popping up like this and still continue to thrive?

It's my dream to start my own brewery, but I hate to think that the "Craft Beer bubble" exists and may at some point burst. There are only so many ways you can make an IPA... not to be a negative Nancy over here.

There were over 8,700 wineries in the U.S. as of last February (2016). I'm confident that number is over 9,000 by now.

Source: https://www.winebusiness.com/wbm/?go=getArticleSignIn&dataId=163894

I don't think you need to worry much about having too many breweries. The UK has nearly as many breweries with far less people than the US.

It seems like a lot but I wonder how many only have beer at their pub and don't distribute to stores for outside sales. Around the Portland area there is a chain of restaurants- McMeninamins, and all their beer is only sold at there. In theory just about every place that serves beer could be turned in a brewery if it was financially feasible .

I don't know why people seem to think the bubble on this industry is so low...

They look at the % of sales not growing as much, but forget huge craft giants sold out and those numbers now go to Macro.
5,300 breweries is nothing, when you consider there are over 600,000 restaurants.

This bubble isn't about to burst.. it's barely even been blown up.

The bubble can take the expansion, imho. It all hinges on demand. Breweries compete for limited shelf space and tap space We can always make more shelves and new bars commonly have dozens of taps. It comes down to if people want that much choice in the market.

I think the market will see rises and falls. We will never again have only four, or ten, or a hundred beers from which to choose. But the fad aspect may well disappear, ending long lines for special releases and high prices for exotic brews. Serious competition will weed out lesser breweries.
I'm glad that there are thousands of US breweries, over a dozen in my county. But I think I could still be happy if there were only 3000 breweries in the country, and 5 or ten here.

America is huge, many markets don't have more than 1 brewery. So there plenty of room for more, maybe not in San Diego and San Francisco. My area has over 1 million people and less than 10 breweries.

Here in Ioway there are a number in each of the larger cities that I'm aware of - we haven't made it to all of them yet, but have bought some of their beers! Decorah has Toppling Goliath, which shows up outside of Iowa, and there are several others that distribute to bars and stores, from the Des Moines, Ames, and Iowa City areas. (We don't know about the western half much.) A number of smaller breweries in smaller towns that might have a taproom, or show up in local bars. Considering the state has 3M or so people....We're not Wisconsin, but we can drink our own share!

Edit, geeze forgot Cedar Rapids which now has 2 or 3 good places....

How many pizza restaurants are there in the U.S.? I'm guessing way more than 5300...

Digging the good debate! Sorry, I wasn't trying to start a controversy here! My main concern with the rapid expansion is to do with major cities where already a good number may be established.

Imho it won't really be a "burst" like you see in the housing and financial sectors. People won't leave work one day to find that half of the city's breweries shut their doors *knock on wood*. It would more so be a shift in our domestic beer culture and the American capitalistic mindset. This could take years or decades to happen.

Let me elaborate and also pose a question. Do you think our beer culture/economy is going towards that of the Germans/Belgians? Every small town would have its own brewery, mainly for the locals? The big macro-craft producers (Sierra Nevada, DFH, Stone, etc) will still be there and more will continue to grow to that scale, but the AB InBev's and MillerCoors of the world will continue to shrink in market share. As to the change in economic mindset, we as Americans tend to always want to expand our businesses and acquire more space, market share, territory to sell the product, etc. In the near future (or now, depending on what market) every opening brewery can't open with these kind of expansionist goals in mind. Some will have to open and know that it will only produce beer for the people and bars in its backyard. To find that healthy economic equilibrium, new breweries will need to understand their niche in the local/regional beer market. Perhaps this will lead to the establishment of a more family and traditional business model for breweries. More local, more family based, etc.

I think we'll see more mergers and acquisitions. "Craft" beer isn't going away (however one chooses to define craft), but neither is InBev.

I really think the major micros are going to struggle as they're not small and local, but they're not big enough to dominate (especially in the distribution chains which is InBev is really working hard to manipulate). If you read about the frustrations Jim Koch has had, I think you'll see more of that....

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/restaurants/article/2015/01/05/jim-koch-sam-adams-beer/

I think we'll see more mergers and acquisitions. "Craft" beer isn't going away (however one chooses to define craft), but neither is InBev.

I really think the major micros are going to struggle as they're not small and local, but they're not big enough to dominate (especially in the distribution chains which is InBev is really working hard to manipulate). If you read about the frustrations Jim Koch has had, I think you'll see more of that....

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/restaurants/article/2015/01/05/jim-koch-sam-adams-beer/

Interesting read, thank you. My comment is it seems his struggles are more of his own doing though. It seems to me that the craft beer nerd has abandoned him not because he's simply grown too big but because he doesn't brew what they want... heh, 'struggles'

I think you are going to see breweries that produce bad or mediocre beer start to close. Now with so many choices if you don't put out good product people won't buy it as they will have more options for "local" beer

It'll probably be the mid sized breweries who might struggle. There must be loads of room for small ones/brewpubs in the US

UK has about 2000 active breweries now

5300? Amazing. I can remember when Chattanooga only had one or two. Now we have 5 and I think they are going to be two more opening up this year.

So for you beer history geeks, how does 5300 compare to what we had before prohibition? What did we have back in those days or what would be the "brewery to population" ratio then to now?

5300? Amazing. I can remember when Chattanooga only had one or two. Now we have 5 and I think they are going to be two more opening up this year.

So for you beer history geeks, how does 5300 compare to what we had before prohibition? What did we have back in those days or what would be the "brewery to population" ratio then to now?

4,131 breweries in 1873. 1870 census says the us population was 38,558,371.

2010 census says the us population is 308,745,538.

The population has grown by 701% while the number breweries today is only up by 28%.

That's 1.1 breweries per 10,000 people in 1870 vs 0.2 per 10,000 people today. Or 5.5x more breweries per person than today.

https://www.brewersassociation.org/brewers-association/history/history-of-craft-beer/
https://www.census.gov/history/www/through_the_decades/fast_facts/1870_fast_facts.html
https://www.census.gov/history/www/through_the_decades/fast_facts/2010_fast_facts.html

I think you are going to see breweries that produce bad or mediocre beer start to close. Now with so many choices if you don't put out good product people won't buy it as they will have more options for "local" beer

I think that you have to consider the market they're in too. We've been finding ourselves searching out micros, at home and traveling, and they seem to appear in a lot in
A) college towns and
B) tourist towns.
As noted in the "worst craft breweries" thread, some of them are consistently lower quality. But if your brewery is in a tourist town that doesn't HAVE to rely on a regular crowd, it's not as hard on your business. Although modern brew rating websites will have a negative impact, that's not as important if your target is an older crowd, unless they happen to be techies like us.
But if you're in an area that relies on repeat business, especially people who don't just drink crap cause it's labeled "craft beer", you're going to need to be able to brew some good beer....

Last edited:
4,131 breweries in 1873. 1870 census says the us population was 38,558,371.

2010 census says the us population is 308,745,538.

The population has grown by 701% while the number breweries today is only up by 28%.

That's 1.1 breweries per 10,000 people in 1870 vs 0.2 per 10,000 people today. Or 5.5x more breweries per person than today.

https://www.brewersassociation.org/brewers-association/history/history-of-craft-beer/
https://www.census.gov/history/www/through_the_decades/fast_facts/1870_fast_facts.html
https://www.census.gov/history/www/through_the_decades/fast_facts/2010_fast_facts.html

Thank you very much!

So, per person the number of breweries is still lower in 2010 than in 1873. Amazing!

True, homebrewers can make amazing beers but not all of them should open up a brewery. When each and every one of us brewed for the first time, you can't deny that thought didn't cross your mind. "I'm going to open a brewery someday!"

But that doesn't mean you should! Admittedly it's my dream as well to open one, but I need more years under my belt of solid research, trial, and error. It's only inevitable that we will see more inexperienced homebrewers opening places.

We could begin to see more specialization of breweries in markets where there is already intense competition like major cities. Specializing in Belgians/Sours, English Ales, or hoppy American stuff. But it'll be interesting to see how breweries like that compete with ones that offer a full selection of styles but might suffer slightly in quality. Really a whole debate within itself...

For instance, there's a brewery near me (not mentioning names here - that's what the Worst Craft Breweries thread is for) that only makes light colored pale ales and IPA's that all look and taste the same. An experienced bartender literally couldn't describe the difference in taste of any of the beers on tap. And this isn't an uncommon opinion around town. IMHO it'll be breweries like these that fail to diversify and listen to their local community of beer drinkers that will go under. It's really finding a balance of brewing what you want to make and also what the public wants.

It's really finding a balance of brewing what you want to make and also what the public wants.

Wish more local breweries were investing in this idea. I'm getting kind of tired of going to a brewery that has 10 taps and 6-7 of them are pale ales and IPAs. I know that is what people want but some variety would be nice...

Any one a big fan of Boulevard. I've tried a few of their sample packs, and all of them we're quite bland or were plagued by off flavors. Their white IPA literally tasted like drinking scented geraniums, the same scent used in mosquito repellent.

Back