US-05, S-04 profile.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeH

Reaction score
I have just aquired a STC1000 plus so having a play with programming some profiles.

I mainly use US-05 and S-04.

Does the attached look fairly typical or am I way off?

The 48h ramp times are due to me having a 60L conical and the fridge and heaters not being man enough to ramp over 24h.

Capture.JPG

I wouldn’t use the same profile for both yeasts personally. And the yeast sets the schedule not you. If you are fermenting them both at the same time 18c is a good compromise.

18c is a good temp for S-04. Its much cleaner below 66 for the first 4 or 5 days.

US-05 works fine at 18C but it’s actually cleaner at higher temps, 20-21c.

If you can dump trub i’d dump at 24 or 48 hours.

If you want better aromatics from your dry hops you should cool to 15-16c for a day or two and pull as much yeast before adding dry hops. S-04 will almost be completely clear, US-05 won’t but it will flocc slightly. Leave beers between 16-17 for 4-5 days then crash to 2c if you can maintain head pressure. Pull yeast/hops every day. Then transfer and carbonate.

Both these yeasts are prone to diacetyl production. Key to getting a predictable temp schedule is to do a forced diacetyl rest to make sure the beer is free of the diacetyl precursors before you proceed to the next step of crashing. It’s super easy to do and while not 100% foolproof it generally works well.

Depends on what beer you're making - for British styles see this.

If DIPAs are more your thing, Cloudwater have published quite a bit about their process over the years, most notably this - they're paranoid about VDKs and start their diacetyl rest at 1.045.

If DIPAs are more your thing, Cloudwater have published quite a bit about their process over the years, most notably this - they're paranoid about VDKs and start their diacetyl rest at 1.045.

Where do you get that from that chart? Am I reading it wrong? Seems like based on that chart at 1.030 they crank to 22, then actually lower for a D-rest.

That first column is how they did DIPA v3 back in 2015 or whenever it was, whereas the middle column is basically the same recipe with a generic 2018 fermentation schedule, and the right column is DIPA v3.1, how they would approach that recipe if they were doing it from scratch today (ie dropping hopback etc). So they used to drop temp for the D-rest, now they go up to 22C at 1.045.

They went into more detail of the "old" schedule in the blog about DIPA v1 from memory.

That first column is how they did DIPA v3 back in 2015 or whenever it was, whereas the middle column is basically the same recipe with a generic 2018 fermentation schedule, and the right column is DIPA v3.1, how they would approach that recipe if they were doing it from scratch today (ie dropping hopback etc). So they used to drop temp for the D-rest, now they go up to 22C at 1.045.

They went into more detail of the "old" schedule in the blog about DIPA v1 from memory.

Ahhh, I missed the multiple columns while looking at it on my phone.. doh

The pitch rate increase is nuts.

That’s also for a different yeast than s-04 and US05. Although it seems similar to kimmich’s recommendation for Conan. Although his pitch rate is super low. I can’t remeber if Wlp095 is actually Conan or not.

If anyone has had Melvin beers this is their profile for 1056. They’ve won lots of awards for their hoppy beers. They’re a little more traditional WC yet they’re insanely clean and use dry hopping rates similar to more modern IPAs.

Pitch at 68
Ferment at 70
- these are huge tanks so they might be able to go higher
After 7 days and negative for Vdk
Crash to 60
Harvest yeast next day
Add DH 1
Next day add DH 2
Wait 7 days
Crash and Centrifuge

4-5lbs per barrel DH

They actually have two centrifuges. One hotside between heat X and FV and then one coldside.

Last edited:
For me, S-04 ( I know I'm not the only one ) always has a slightly tart flavour. Not noticeable in dark beers, but present in light coloured beers. I never cared for it and stopped using it. People recommend fermenting it at the lower end of the temperature range. On the positive side, it is fast, agressive, flocculates well in the fermenter and drops well at the bottom of the bottles/cans and attenuation - provided you treat it right - is around 75%, but it can definitely go much higher. I would ferment it cold and cut the time spent in the fermenter.

US-05 is OK. It's a good yeast. Reliable, it does work well in many different styles of beer. The temperature range specified by Fermentis is insane and I can attest that even when fermented at 75-76F it's still clean, and will do the job. It's a bit slower than the likes of S-04, Notti, Windsor, etc. It does not flocculate well and although it does seem to want to stick at the bottom of the bottle/can, it is easily roused and requires extensive lagering, which I don't do with hoppy beers.

Regarding dry hop time: why do you want to leave the hops in for 7 days? Have you tried this before? Do you like the results? Have you tried dry hopping for 24-48-72 hours only and see how that works? I personally cut the time from 5-7 days to 2 days only and I really, really like the results. 7 days was too much and most times resulted in duller aromas, reminiscent of shelf old-school, West Coast IPAs.

You can shorten the overall time your beer spends in the fermenter ( 17 days is a lot for my taste ) by raising your D-rest temps. earlier and making sure it stays at 70-72F a few days. Normal strenght beers should be OK after 10-12 days in the fermenter.

I love those guys and their sharing.
Incidentally, what voodoo are they using to get apparent attenuation of 88 from Burlington? Damn.
Also their fear of diacetyl gives me the fear... I've never identified it in any of my Beers ever, so I'm fairly sure it must just be something I'm not sensitive too... What if everyone is laughing, laughing at me behind my back at my popcorn brews??
I'm going to get a kilo of aldc and some valine too and nobody will mock me ever again.

One of the Cloudwater guys is meant to be super-sensitive to diacetyl, so they spend a lot of effort making sure there's not even a trace of it in their beers. I guess the side-effect is that their fermenter are 5* hotels for yeast, they have the world's happiest yeast, are rousing with CO2 etc so not one molecule of higher carbohydrate escapes.

Sorry, didn't mean to resurrect an old thread, but wanted to give kudos (as well as the likes) for the info provided.

You all basically saved me the trouble of making what would essentially be a duplicate post, as I was looking for S04/US05 temp numbers that real brewers have used, and their experiences.

This <points above> was *exactly* what I was looking for!

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back