US-05 Long Ferment time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike8228

Reaction score
So I did a Cream Ale with US-05, it started showing signs of fermentation at about 24hrs. I had it at 64F for 10 days, and 70 for over three days now, sucker is still going. I do see it slowing and the beer is beginning to clear, but it literally has been bubbling for 14 days, with perhaps another day or two to go from what I’m seeing. Is this normal? The longest I’ve seen when researching this for this strain is around 10 days. I know yeast doesn’t care about times, but holly cow. Perhaps being a Cream Ale with lots of sugars in it is the culprit? I know this strain is a beast, but it is literally 3 times longer than anything I’ve used to date.

Your fermenter got a good seal this time so it isn't leaking any CO2. The beer will have a tremendous amount of CO2 dissolved and it can make the airlock bubble for weeks after fermentation is complete.

So is this good or bad? The little bubbles I’m seeing in the fermenter look like what you would see in a glass and I’m getting a ‘blub’ in the blowoff every 15 seconds.

So is this good or bad? The little bubbles I’m seeing in the fermenter look like what you would see in a glass and I’m getting a ‘blub’ in the blowoff every 15 seconds.

Um, yes....or maybe no. Maybe it is neither. Most ales will only take 3-4 days for the yeast to complete ferment out the beer but in the process they stir up everything in the fermenter and put more CO2 in than the beer can hold. It then quits making CO2 and spends another few hours to a couple days cleaning up byproducts of the fermentation. From then on the yeast and trub start to settle out and the excess CO2 outgasses giving you those bubbles in the airlock. No problem, this is a normal part of the process. Since you are at 14 days in the fermenter I'd suggest you wait another 3 and then open it to take a hydrometer reading. Take another reading a couple days later and if the readings match you can bottle the beer. If you are really patient you could wait longer.

gravity check is needed. I've had US-05 go a month or longer on a high gravity beer. But a regular beer it should be done by now.

Latest posts

Back