US-05 in IPA question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HotbreakHotel

Reaction score
Yay!! I'm back into brewing after a 5 month involuntary break. Moving, selling house, etc., but now I'm back!!

I brewed a 5 gallon batch of porter and a 3 gallon batch of IPA. The porter turned out great, but I'm worried about my IPA.

It's an all grain batch with magnum and amarillo hops. I pitched a vial of WLP-001 and after two days the yeast hadn't started. Dead as a doornail.

I went out and bought a packet of US-05 (my first time using dry yeast) and pitched it directly to the wort, and it quickly started to vigorously ferment with a tall, fluffy krausen. The ambient temperature was about 72 when I pitched the US-05, then when It started I moved it to where it was 69 degrees. (I had moved it to the warmer temp to encourage the WLP-001.)

Well, during the ferment and after, it just smelled very, well, yeasty. 9 days after brewing (7 days after pitching US-05) I racked it to the secondary over dry hops, and it still had a strong yeasty smell, and the beer was cloudier than I am used to it being after a week. I took, a taste, and it tasted very bready-like yeasty and a bit sour. I once had a beer take on a puckery sour after bottling and had to dump the batch, but this sour just seemed "yeasty" in my far-from-expert opinion.

Has anyone else experienced this with US-05 at these temperatures? Do you think it might condition out?

Thanks so much,

Rachael

I've used US-05 for most of my beers and I've never had it come out sour. That said, I have had a couple of beers that tasted strange (and even borderline unpleasant) after two or three weeks, and they both turned out great. So as EdWort says, give it time. Odds on it'll be good beer.

I used US-05 on my amber ale, and I had no problems, although it does take a while to settle...the flocculation of it isn't so good, methinks.

Back