US-05 How long does this yeast need to finish?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YOpassDAmike

Reaction score
Roughly, how many days would it take one pack of US-05 to ferment 2 gallons of a 5.6% pale ale? My general rule of thumb is 14 days for a normal 5 gallon batch of this style. I know to check to the gravity to check and see if fermentation is complete, byt eont the yeast need additional time after fermentation to clean up after itself, for example removal of some diacytle? I was wondering if 11-12 days would be enough time in the fermentor to ferment and clean up the beer before I transfer it to a keg and force carb it?

Thanks, Mike

As a point of reference, I use a single pack of US-05 in a 5 gallon batch of 1.060 wort and it'll hit FG within 5 days while under tight temperature control. I'll run it a few days longer for dry-hopping purposes then cold crash and keg by 14 days from pitching, but for lightly hopped brews I've had beers in the keg by day 10.

There's no need for a protracted fermentation process, and indeed for many styles all that extra time is doing is attenuating the very characters one cherishes...

Cheers!

Back