US-05 Attenuation too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdog44450

Reaction score
My last couple brews, my safale us-05 has attenuated way too much. My FG's end up in the mid 00's. My most recent brew was a Sierra Nevada PA clone that went from 1.054 to a 1.006 which is an apparent attenuation of 89%. I was shooting for around 5.7% and end up with a 6.3%. Here is my bill:

2.5 gallons
Mash: 151 for 90 minutes
Boil time 75 minutes (to make up for lower than expected Efficiency)
Est OG: 1.056
IBUs: 38.7
Color: 7.9 SRM
Est ABV: 5.9

5lb 8oz 2 Row
8oz Caramel 40
3.75g Northern Brewer 10.9%AA @60
9.5g Perle 8.0%AA @60
10g Cascade 7.1%AA @15
0.25 Whirlfloc @10
10g Cascade 7.1% @FO
2.5g Perle 8.0% @FO

Fermented at 68 ambient temp for 4 weeks in primary because I was extremely busy. Dry hopped w/ half oz pellets for a week. This high spread between OG and FG is creating beers that are too strong. When I want to make a session beer it ends up making something with more alcohol than I want.

What is your question? 1.056 isn't really a session beer SG. Adjust your grain bill, pitch less yeast, lower your ferm temp, crash it sooner, etc.

You can mash at a slightly higher temp to create more unfermentable sugars for a higher FG. First check the calibration of your thermometer. The actual mash temperature may have been lower than 151°.

What is your question? 1.056 isn't really a session beer SG. Adjust your grain bill, pitch less yeast, lower your ferm temp, crash it sooner, etc.

When I referred to a session beer I wasn't referring to this brew specifically just others in the past and I don't crash, never saw the need to. Just takes longer to carb. And adjusting the grain bill enough to change the FG to finish 6 points would just make a watery beer or too much taste on the caramel grains depending on what I adjusted.

You can mash at a slightly higher temp to create more unfermentable sugars for a higher FG. First check the calibration of your thermometer. The actual mash temperature may have been lower than 151°.

I have calibrated my thermometers and I have 3 that I check during mash too be 100% sure. I made an IPA a few months back that I mashed at 154 and it too went to a 1.006 with US-05 so I really don't know why the FG's are finishing so low

Lower your og, mash higher (beer will be sweeter) or use a different yeast.

I'm going to stick with dry yeasts because liquids are too expensive for 2.5 gallon batches. Is US-04 comparable to 05? I tried nottingham and wasn't too impressed with the final product

I get this same high attenuation from 05. Beers usually finish 1.004 - 1.006, depending on SG. Mash temps up to 156* don't seem to change that result.

It's nice for dry beers, but I have to use something else for fuller beers. s04 is good, if you don't mind a little fruity character. Nottingham has a similar taste to s05, and might be a good sub. I get almost as much attenuation from that, too, though.

Are you harvesting and reusing or is this a first pitch? I get even higher attenuation when I re-use s-05 from a slurry.

If you figure out a fix, post it here please!

I'm going to stick with dry yeasts because liquids are too expensive for 2.5 gallon batches. Is US-04 comparable to 05? I tried nottingham and wasn't too impressed with the final product

If you have a refrigerator to store them, harvesting yeast can make using liquid yeast stupid cheap. One vial makes a starter, use most of the starter in your beer and store the rest. Next brew day you can make a starter from the stored yeast, use most of it in your beer and store the rest. There is probably a practical limit on the number or iterations but it will still make your single vial pretty cheap.

All the advice given has been good. I suggest that you take all your hydrometer readings at the same temp. The temperature of the beer will affect what your og and fg read as. Most hydrometers are calibrated around 68.

All the advice given has been good. I suggest that you take all your hydrometer readings at the same temp. The temperature of the beer will affect what your og and fg read as. Most hydrometers are calibrated around 68.

Mine is calibrated at 60 degrees but I always make sure it is at that temp before taking my pre/post boil and post fermentation readings.

I get this same high attenuation from 05. Beers usually finish 1.004 - 1.006, depending on SG. Mash temps up to 156* don't seem to change that result.

It's nice for dry beers, but I have to use something else for fuller beers. s04 is good, if you don't mind a little fruity character. Nottingham has a similar taste to s05, and might be a good sub. I get almost as much attenuation from that, too, though.

Are you harvesting and reusing or is this a first pitch? I get even higher attenuation when I re-use s-05 from a slurry.

If you figure out a fix, post it here please!

I almost always do 1 pitch per yeast in fear of contaminating a batch which is a fear I should get over. I've done 20+ batches and have never had a contamination issue and I'm just wasting money I don't need to at this point. It could be a fermentation temp issue, I'm not sure. Without a budget to buy fancy gadgets I just ferm. in my basement with a 68 ambient temp. In the winter it gets in the upper 50's so I will see if winter brings a lower attenuation

If you have a refrigerator to store them, harvesting yeast can make using liquid yeast stupid cheap. One vial makes a starter, use most of the starter in your beer and store the rest. Next brew day you can make a starter from the stored yeast, use most of it in your beer and store the rest. There is probably a practical limit on the number or iterations but it will still make your single vial pretty cheap.

Ok, maybe I will just buy some Wyeast and save it. What is your favorite/versatile liquid yeast you like to use?

04 doesn't attenuate as low as 05. I use 04 in my xmas beer, stouts, porters, etc. It's a pretty clean yeast also- similar to the 05.
You'll have to play around with what you mash at though if you're going for a dryer beer. 04 has kicked out at 1.020 for me several times at around 156 F mash which is too sweet for my tastes.

You could keep using 05 and mash a tad higher. Either way you're going to have to fiddle around for a few batches until it's where you like it.

04 gets much less attentuation for me so I use it to keep some body in session beers or beers which I want to be thicker. It does giver a different flavor profile, though, including more fruity esters. If you have temp control I think you can either mitigate or accentuate that to a degree based on ferm temps. Look into a SOF chiller or similar--they aren't that expensive. Or get an stc-1000 ($20 + some wiring) and use a dorm fridge to really control fermentation temp.

I've liked Nottingham, us-05 adn s-04, so I have usually used liquid only for Belgians and Hefeweizens. There may be some clean American ale yeasts with lower attenuation, though.

My kolsch consistently hits 1.002 - 1.004 using s-05, no infection or off-flavors. I plan for it and enjoy it nice & dry. I think the yeasties just like that recipe for some reason. All of the other beers that I use s-05 in hit 1.005 - 1.008. It's a workhorse, for sure.

Back