US-05 @ 79F. What off-flavors to expect

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schwind

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I know this has been covered before but I read all the posts that search brought up for me and can't find a definitive answer.

The mini fridge that controls my fermentation cabinet gave up the ghost Monday night(I guess) and I checked my 10 gallons of IPA I had fermenting this morning and they were at 79. I immediately freaked out and wrapped them in wet tee shirts.
I just came home for lunch and they're down to 77-76. What kind of off flavors should I expect and is it possible they will age out of the beer?
I'm pretty bummed because I was brewing this for a party on Oct 2nd which is exactly 6 weeks from this past saturday, my brew day, and I really don't want to have to brew this beer again this saturday. Its 65 bucks of ingredients and I refuse to dump it. I just want to know if you guys think it will be drinkable or should I rebrew it also.

Thanks in advance,

Mike Schwind

Was the "bulk" of the fermentation over? If you were near your FG, I guess the off-flavors will barely be noticeable.

I doubt it, it had been going pretty strong on monday and it was still bubbling away this morning.

Maybe since its an IPA you'll be better off. I had BM Cream of Three Crops at this temp. Brewed it on Memorial day and bottled it. It still to this day (about 2 months being bottled) has a very hot alcoholic taste that is not pleasant. I am letting it age and hoping it becomes more drinkable in a couple of months. This was an extremely light beer though and I overshot efficiency so it was 5.7%, so I am sure any imperfections are enhanced. A hoppy IPA should help dull any of these types of tones.

That's what I hope happens. It's on the darker end of the scale at 10.5 SRM and 72 IBU's. It started at 1.068 so it should have plenty of other things going on to mask any hot flavors. Thanks

It will probably be just fine with no further intervention. I recently got lots of esters from s-04 at this temp but S-05 did just fine. If it does seem a bit funky go big on the dry hop!

I used US-05 back earlier this summer and the room I brew in was getting up to about 78° during the day. It prompted me to build a fermentation chiller, but to be honest, I haven't really noticed a difference between the batch that hit 78° and subsequent batches that have fermented around 65°.
It's all good.

Please let us know how it turns out.

Thanks everyone for the advice and for making me feel better without saying RDWHAHB. I was planning on dry hopping with 2 ozs in each bucket but I might go up to 3. I'm going to let the beer sit on the cake for the next 2 weeks, dry hop in primary for a week an then carb it up and let it sit. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks again,

Mike

Okay well, the beer turned out fine. I noticed some fruity estery flavors(think apple juice) but everyone else loved it. The dry hop helped a bunch I'm sure.

So it was pretty much what everyone expected. Could you save a bottle for another month and report back how it tastes then? I'm interested how the estery flavors age.

Latest posts

Back