Urgent! Stirred Wort at end of boil, now a bunch of crap in fermenter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uofmguy

Reaction score
So..... I kindof stirred the wort to "help it cool down". What happened was I disturbed the trub and now its all in the wort. I transferred it to the fermenter, should I wait on adding yeast, wait a while for crap to settle, transfer it to a secondary, then transfer it back, or will that not affect the flavor of the final beer?

RDWHAHB. No problems here. Lots of people dump everything from the kettle into the fermenter.

Well thank you guys, I trust ya.

Just wondering though, doesn't all that jazz mixed up in there effect the OG reading?

If you don't like the idea of having that much trub in your fermenter, you can let it sit for several minutes after stirring and most of the hot break and hops you stirred up will fall back down to the bottom. It's not a problem to have it in your fermenter, though.

For the amount of time it took to type that, you can dump it all in, toss some yeast in, plug it up and have a beer.

No worries, it'll be alright!

Just wondering though, doesn't all that jazz mixed up in there effect the OG reading?

The gravity reading is actually measure of density, which is affected by DISSOLVED solids, not solids suspended in the liquid. For instance, salt water is denser than freshwater because of the dissolved salt; but boats don't affect the density of either!

No, just make sure you pull enough for the crap to setting to the bottom of the hydrometer container.

I always stir and I always put everything into the carboy I also reuse yeast from the carboy (I use a washing method with sterile water.) With Whirfloc/irish moss and a cold crash, I get nice clear beers.

The gravity reading is actually measure of density, which is affected by DISSOLVED solids, not solids suspended in the liquid. For instance, salt water is denser than freshwater because of the dissolved salt; but boats don't affect the density of either!

I came back to say something similar to this, but freisste beat me to it.

No the density of the liquid in mass far out lies any effects from trub. Any effects of trub on five gallons of beer will likely only even be able to cause a density variance of maybe .05% if even that. Just estimating that number of course. So it is negligible. Just think of the wort as being the liquid and the trub of being various mass. Mass simply displaces volume, it doesn't change its density unless the mass is soluble in the present medium.

So..... I kindof stirred the wort to "help it cool down". What happened was I disturbed the trub and now its all in the wort. I transferred it to the fermenter, should I wait on adding yeast, wait a while for crap to settle, transfer it to a secondary, then transfer it back, or will that not affect the flavor of the final beer?

You'll be fine but if you want to reduce the trub you transfer start stirring around the outer edge of your pot & gradually increase the speed. Put on the kid andet it sit 10-20 minutes while you do some cleanup and get your carboy and yeast ready. Also set up your chiller if you use a CFC or plate chiller.
Now you're ready to transfer from your BK & most of the trub will be in a nice pyramid pile on the center bottom of your pot.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Cool. Thanks guys. Everything is all in the fermenter and I feel much better about all of it

I always 'filter' my wort as I transfer to the carboy. I have a stainless chinois, which is a very fine strainer. I use it in combination with my bottling bucket which has a tube attached from the spigot to the carboy. The strainer rests right on the top of the bucket. Use a sanitized pot to dump it through and it will remove almost all of your hop material. Since it is such a fine mesh, you will need to use a sanitized ladel to almost 'push' the liquid through and then trash whats in the chinois. Hope this makes sense. But it works flawlessly and makes transfer easy as well.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397826455.242381.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Guess I'm different. I drop in half a Whirlfloc and use a IC, drain the first half gallon of sediment into a small container then pour the rest into the fermenting bottle, but I account for that extra lose in the original recipe

Guess I'm different. I drop in half a Whirlfloc and use a IC, drain the first half gallon of sediment into a small container then pour the rest into the fermenting bottle, but I account for that extra lose in the original recipe

I'm similar - I shoot for a larger batch and leave some of the crap behind at the end. I do my best to whirlpool and get the cone, but it isn't always perfect. It's not a big deal to me to get some of the crud in the fermenter.

How do you drain off the sediment first? Do you tilt your kettle while cooling?

I always try to stir it up extra good and pull the wort from the around the cold break and hop slug but in the end I see all that tasty beer sitting behind (1g) and think screw it!

I'm similar - I shoot for a larger batch and leave some of the crap behind at the end. I do my best to whirlpool and get the cone, but it isn't always perfect. It's not a big deal to me to get some of the crud in the fermenter.

How do you drain off the sediment first? Do you tilt your kettle while cooling?

Whirlfloc is awesome, add in the IC after and stuff drops like a tank, I don't tilt the kettle. On the other side of my drain valve is a 90* pointing downwards i just open the valve and let it pull the bottom half gallon or so which is a lot of trub into a seperate gallon bottle. I never stir or whirl pool. I then let the one gallon settle and if I need to ill auto siphon the good stuff to top off if i draw to much but never really need to. Give whirlfloc/Irish moss a shot I got 25tablets for $1.99 and only need 1/2 tablet per 5 gallons at my LHBS.

Latest posts

Back