Upstate NY Brewer/ Hop Growing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RhinoDon81

Reaction score
Hi- I want to take a stab at growing some of my own hops, has anyone had any luck with certain types is a terperate climate like upstate ny?

thanks for your help!

I have had good success and good yield with Cascade a little south of you in PA. NY state once had a booming hop growing business, so just about any variety would work.

I'm over in Oneida and I've had good luck with Cascades. I also have a Willamette plant that I nearly killed the first year but it came back decently well this past summer.

I just did a google search and there's a decent list with recommended climates for various varieties at http://www.americanbrewmaster.com/growing_hops.htm a little over half way down the page. I'd say pick your favorite varieties, google around about their recommended climates, pick what looks good, and give it a shot!

I'm just south of Rochester and I grow centennial and cascade without a problem. Nugget also does well. In fact that use to be a major crop in this area.

I've got some willemette plants that are pretty strong on their 3rd year in the fingerlakes region of ny. Cascades and nuggets also do really well in this climate.

NY state once had a booming hop growing business, so just about any variety would work.

And the reason NY doesn't have that business anymore is...?

Blight - particularly downey mildew which wiped out most production in the late 1800s.

(Well, that and prohibition...)

So, not every variety is a good idea. Pick the ones that have better mildew resistance.

Here's a good link:
Hops Information
particularly the 'Growing hops in New England' and 'Hop Varieties' which will tell you about varieties and mildew resistance/susceptibility.

I vote Cascade and Willamette. Cascade is easy to grow.

Actually that it not true(my previous post).....Nugget was relased in 1980's and grows fine here. At least I have never had a problem so far and the local hop farm hasn't. I believe that Cluster was the big hop in the 1800's. (My mistake)

Back