Upsides to the Penrose Kettle!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty decent for cellphone pics.

I have an e-mail into the guys about some custom fitting arangements. I'll see if they can do shorter fittings.

Thanks!

I don't see any benefit to having a flush inside for my setup as I am going to attach a dip tube and FB anyway. If they could weld that coupling flush on the outside for you, that might work for you.

Let me tell you the history of the Penrose Kettles. The very first one (I still brew with this one) had a closed 1/2" nipple cut in half, welded on. These early kettles were made out of junked home based liquid oxygen tanks that were being scrapped out. I was able to aquire a dozen, dozen and a half of these. I sold these around St Louis. When we started making the Brewhemoths, a couple boxes of what we call "pizza pans" (flat bottoms) were found. The Penrose Kettle was back. 1/2 couplers were in use then, screw a closed coupler in, then valve. But some folks wanted to add to the inside, so a full coupler was added. Increased set up time for welding a bit, but the versatillity of the kettle went up. Downside, sticks out a bit. We can, and will put almost anything on it, or nothing at all, the price will be adjusted depending on cost and time involved. Our design idea is function over form, they may not be the prettiest thing going, but I think for the money, they are the best deal on the market!

Let me tell you the history of the Penrose Kettles. The very first one (I still brew with this one) had a closed 1/2" nipple cut in half, welded on. These early kettles were made out of junked home based liquid oxygen tanks that were being scrapped out. I was able to aquire a dozen, dozen and a half of these. I sold these around St Louis. When we started making the Brewhemoths, a couple boxes of what we call "pizza pans" (flat bottoms) were found. The Penrose Kettle was back. 1/2 couplers were in use then, screw a closed coupler in, then valve. But some folks wanted to add to the inside, so a full coupler was added. Increased set up time for welding a bit, but the versatillity of the kettle went up. Downside, sticks out a bit. We can, and will put almost anything on it, or nothing at all, the price will be adjusted depending on cost and time involved. Our design idea is function over form, they may not be the prettiest thing going, but I think for the money, they are the best deal on the market!

Agreed, and the flexibility that you folks offer is fantastic!

That's my thinking. Love the pot and I don't have the ability to fabiricate or the desire to send something out for $100 an hour to have the fittings put in.

If I'm going to get something preassembled (which looks like my best option), I want lower-profile fittings.

I'm thinking dropping the fittings won't save much money since most of the cost is in the making of the pot itself.

I bet if you asked nice you could have them weld the bulkhead half way in or all the way inside the pot.

Thanks you for starting this thread. I'm very excited for the arrival of my penrose kettle. To help anyone that has had trouble finding a lid that fits, Bayou classic has an aluminum lid that is 16.75 inches in diameter which should fit the pot according to the measurements on the brewhemoth site. oh and it 24 bucks. seems way cheaper than stainless and I could care less what the lid is made out of for brewing. Heres the linkhttp://www.bayouclassiccooking.com/aluminum-lids-for-jambalaya.html
http://www.bayouclassiccooking.com/aluminum-lids-for-jambalaya.html

To anyone who has a Penrose and can help me with a measurement...
I'm looking to get one of these for my penrose when it comes (hopefully sometime this week!): http://ihomebrewsolutions.com/index...e-hop-stopper&catid=25:ihs-projects&Itemid=64

And I need to know measurement "X" in this diagram: http://ihomebrewsolutions.com/index...asure&catid=34:faqsforthehopstopper&Itemid=56

Basically its the distance from the ball valve outlet to the bottom of the kettle. It looks like its only maybe an inch or two from the pictures I've seen, but I want to make sure to get this correct. If no one can help me I guess I'll just wait until my kettle comes, but I'm hoping to order one soon!
Thanks!

I ordered the Penrose kettle on Monday and got it today. It looks awesome. 5 gallons looks so small in it, I might have to move to 10 gallon batches. Ha. I'll update how it works on Saturday. I'm excited.

You got that right. I started doing at some 7.5 gal batches so I have enough brew for three full cases of bottles. When I did a quick increment measurement for volume 10 gal even looks small!

1. I don't think Bend's comments were "negative" at all.
  2. You should read the threads you point people to. The so called "negative" thread you refer to? It's all positive. Don't judge a book by it's cover (or a thread by it's title). :)

I don't like there fittings at all. Think they would sell un-drilled pots a bit cheaper without the valve?

We are loving our Penrose Kettles in this thread.

Please take your negativity to:

Downsides of the Penrose Kettle?

so what are you guys using for lids for these things? I have two, one for a BK, one for a HLT. and the fact that they aren't round is a PITA. I have been to a couple of different restaurant supply stores looking for lids. At the moment, my best option is inverted pizza trays. I am not really wild about this idea, as they are pretty damn light. But if I have no other option, then it's what I'll have to resort to.

dfess1 said:
so what are you guys using for lids for these things? I have two, one for a BK, one for a HLT. and the fact that they aren't round is a PITA. I have been to a couple of different restaurant supply stores looking for lids. At the moment, my best option is inverted pizza trays. I am not really wild about this idea, as they are pretty damn light. But if I have no other option, then it's what I'll have to resort to.

I'm only using it for a boil kettle so I don't find a lid to be too necessary. When I'm cooling the wort, I just put a towel over it to keep anything out since I brew outside under oak trees.

I use a peice of the extra wide aluminum foil when the catalpa trees threatens to shed its flowers. Works fine, can poke my thermometer thru it so when the boil is near, off it goes.

Thanks you for starting this thread. I'm very excited for the arrival of my penrose kettle. To help anyone that has had trouble finding a lid that fits, Bayou classic has an aluminum lid that is 16.75 inches in diameter which should fit the pot according to the measurements on the brewhemoth site. oh and it 24 bucks. seems way cheaper than stainless and I could care less what the lid is made out of for brewing. Heres the linkhttp://www.bayouclassiccooking.com/aluminum-lids-for-jambalaya.html
http://www.bayouclassiccooking.com/aluminum-lids-for-jambalaya.html

Holy sh*t, I just realized I ordered one of these, wanting to use it as a BIAB pot, and I didn't even think about not having a lid.

Have you used this particular lid & does it fit well?

Holy sh*t, I just realized I ordered one of these, wanting to use it as a BIAB pot, and I didn't even think about not having a lid.

Have you used this particular lid & does it fit well?

Are you doing 5 gallon BIAB in this? 10 gallon batch wouldn't fit in these for a decent gravity beer I don't think via BIAB would it?

I actually don't think I'm going to do BIAB anymore, but yeah - the plan was to do 5 gallon batches. I do think you could get away with 10 gallon batches in it, though, so long as you were realistic about the OG of the brew.

Let's say you want to do a 10 gallon batch with 20 lbs of grain in it. At 65% efficiency, that gets you in the 1.046 ballpark.

Let's also say that you typically boil off 1.5 gallons and you lose a gallon to absorption by the grain. You'd want to start with 12.5 gallons in your kettle, then.

12.5 gallons * 4 = 50 qts

50 qts / 20 lbs grain = 2.5 qts/gal mash thickness

Can I Mash It calculator says that would take up a volume of 14.1 gallons, and the Penrose Kettle is 15.5, so you'd have a bit of room. It would certainly work for lower gravity brews.

Interesting... is it one of the earlier ones? Or are they just bigger in real life than advertised?

Back