Upping the S. gravity???? (OG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuffstuff152

Reaction score
Im just wondering what the best and most economical way to boost the S. gravity/alcohol content of an american light lager/pilsner?

I know that adding corn sugar will do it, but im wondering if cane sugar would be more efficient/less costly? I dont want to risk turning my brew into a cider, so Im really wondering how much of what type of sugar I should use for a 5 gallon batch of pilsner? Any info would be appreciated.

A recipe that you're using would help. We can't just throw a number out there without it affecting the recipe, especially a sex in a canoe beer. :cross: You're right that using cane sugar will make it cidery if it's used in excess. I would recommend using rice solids if you're doing extract batches to add more fermentables, but no body and flavor. If you're doing all grain batches, minute rice will work as well.

Wait a minute! You can use minute rice to replace, rice solids in all grain? Please Please more details. I am now very intrigued. =-)

Wait a minute! You can use minute rice to replace, rice solids in all grain? Please Please more details. I am now very intrigued. =-)

Absolutly! Cook the rice per the instructions on the box before adding it to the mash and it will convert.

You can also use honey which ferments much cleaner that corn or cane sugar.

Do you already have rice solids/syrup in your recipe? You need to look at what you are saying. You want to up the O.G., but only want to use sugar. That may be the most economical mehtod, but may not yield the best beer. I would say up the LME/DME/Base malt for best results. Or add rice if you haven't done so already.

Also worth pointing out that upping the alcohol of a beer rarely works out as well as people plan. You have to be aware that you'll also have to up the hops to balance the beer, and it will take significantly longer to be drinkable. You're often better off to make the recipe to its intended strength, and if you want the extra kick just drink more.

(On the other hand, bent beers like Imperial Pils or what have you can be interesting.)

You can put Minute rice directly in the mash. You do not have to boil it first as it has already been pre-cooked. If using regular rice then it has to be gelitinized first then cooled to 150F add 20% crushed 2 row, rest 30 minutes and add to the main mash. Caution: stir the rice the whole time or it will scortch. Use medium/low flame.

thanks for all the interesting insight, I am a beginner at brewing(if you couldnt already tell). I very intruiged about using the minute rice. Must this be used only with all-grain recipes, or can I use it with an extract recipe? Im using 4lbs of JOhn Bull Light unhopped malt extract(which is what "joy of homebrewing" calls for), and saaz hopps for a 5 gallon batch. Can I use the rice method with this recipe? if so how much should I use, and do I just put the rice in a steeping bag or directly into the wort and strain it later?

Rice has to be mashed with 2-row malted barley.

An extra pound of cane or corn sugar in 5 gallons is as much as you should use.

couple more quick questions guys:

If I were to use honey as another way to attain more fermentable sugar, is their a special kind of honey I should use, or will store bought honey suffice? How much should I use per the 5 gallon recipe I listed above?(Im just trying to up the OG a little for experimental purposes, im not trying to make the high gravity brew the bums drink) Thanks a lot guys you've been really helpful.

couple more quick questions guys:

If I were to use honey as another way to attain more fermentable sugar, is their a special kind of honey I should use, or will store bought honey suffice? How much should I use per the 5 gallon recipe I listed above?(Im just trying to up the OG a little for experimental purposes, im not trying to make the high gravity brew the bums drink) Thanks a lot guys you've been really helpful.

Store bought honey will work just fine. The honey won't impart much flavor if any so the cheaper stuff should work.

Back