Upper-Midwesterners - Summit ESB? how to nab that unique hop flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snailsongs

Reaction score
Have you tried Summit Brewing Co's ESB? It has a really pleasant, pronounced but enjoyable grassiness. MY first thought was "....so this is what english hops are supposed to taste like!"

I crafted a recipe in Beersmith to match the numbers they posted on their site, but I don't have that much experience with creating hop schedules.....a little hop-help would be appreciated, especially if you've actually had this particular bitter, because the hop character seems really unique to me. Maybe it's just the dry-hopped Northdown.....?

Type: All Grain

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 47.4 %
4.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 42.1 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 10.5 %
0.75 oz Target [11.00%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 32.5 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (15 min) Hops 8.0 IBU
0.25 oz Target [11.00%] (25 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (3 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
1.00 oz Northdown [8.50%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -

Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.0 %
Bitterness: 49.4 IBU
Est Color: 10.5 SRM

I love Summit, but the hops don't taste particularly English to me. I don't know what to suggest, just thought I'd add that.

fair enough, that may very well be....I'm no hop expert, but I know that the flavor profile is very different from the American style of citrusy hoppage (cascade, amarillo, etc.), and I don't think it is very remnicient of the german "noble" hop flavor either. Also, I was under the impression that Target, Northdown and Fuggle were all "english" varieties.

I made an ESB last summer. I havent compared it side by side to Summit's, although I do know I like Summit's. I really like the hop profile in my ESB and I used Yakima Goldings. I used them not necessary by intentional design, but because I had a surplus after buying 3 lbs of them from Northern Brewer on a bulk buy. It turned out great. Without using the expensive Kent Goldings, I still has that hop profile I look for in an ESB. Just an option for you...

I have had the Summit ESB a couple of times. Good beer.

I would write Summit and ask them what hops they use. Most smaller breweries will give that up.

As to hop schedules, I don't subscribe to the high-multiple addition method (dry hopping excluded.)

Bitter at 60, Flavor at 15 and aroma at 1 or flameout.

ESBs are not complicated beer, I'd give that a try.

Gedvondur

Back