Upgrading kegerator from 4-6 kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troyp42

Reaction score
Hi guys, I currently have a fridge/freezer kegerator that fits 4 kegs in it and I use the freezer section for hops. I am wanting to upgrade to 6 kegs but not sure if I should build a new kegerator with a chest freezer that fits 6 kegs or just buy a small kegerator that fits 2-3 more kegs and sit this beside my existing one and use my gas bottle with a T to serve both kegerators.

I will answer this with questions... if you bought a freezer, what will do with the fridge?
If you get rid of the fridge, where will your hops be stored?
If you plan on keeping The fridge, what will you use the fridge side for?
Do you have power? Ie... is the Fridge on its own circuit or is it shared with other items? Is it a 15 amp or 20 amp circuit? Or do you have another circuit close by to attach a freezer too?

I miss having a small freezer,just to keep my hops and ice in. My fridge died so I went to a small freezer. I use our up right freezer to store my hops in ( so limited space) and buy ice the day before I brew.

I will answer this with questions... if you bought a freezer, what will do with the fridge? Probably sell it.
If you get rid of the fridge, where will your hops be stored? In the keezer on the hump section
If you plan on keeping The fridge, what will you use the fridge side for? I will keep 4 kegs in that and the extra 2 kegs in the new kegerator but will have to run both fridges
Do you have power? Ie... is the Fridge on its own circuit or is it shared with other items? Is it a 15 amp or 20 amp circuit? Or do you have another circuit close by to attach a freezer too? Their is a double power point where the existing kegerator plugs in. I think a freezer next to it wont draw too much extra power anyway.

I miss having a small freezer,just to keep my hops and ice in. My fridge died so I went to a small freezer. I use our up right freezer to store my hops in ( so limited space) and buy ice the day before I brew.
Good questions. On one hand buying a new smaller keg king or kegland kegerator is the easiest option and I could always turn it off if I dont have any kegs in it.

But building one is the fun option. Not sure about which one would cost more though. I suppose it depends on how much I can score a freezer for.

My preference is to use a chest freezer for the kegs and use the existing fridge/freezer for bottle/can beer, hops, ice and overflow food from your main refrigerator.

You might want to look at the electrical consumption of your options. I found that a new chest freezer consumes less energy than an older refrigerator/kegerator.

As you mentioned, with a new chest freezer you can start with a clean slate and personalize it to your liking.

Check the power specs, but these aren't typically high demand devices. Having both on one circuit is likely no problem as long as it isn't also overloaded with other stuff. I'm pretty sure my main kitchen fridge and kegerator are on the same circuit.

Latest posts

Back