Upgrading Existing Panel with BCS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonlor20

Reaction score
Hello, I searched around but couldn’t find a thread that fit, so I am going to just ask the general public and see if anyone knows anything about this topic:

I currently have a panel that powers my 2 Vessel no-Sparge setup, it is this panel:

http://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-c96ct...1/30a_biab_finished__11844.1472575353.jpg?c=2

More/Less. Mine was an older model I believe.

I actually like the 2 vessel setup for a lot of reasons - namely the cleaning is a little simpler and the beer I make is great and I understand the variables involved and how to work them to make good beer.

That being said, I want to upgrade a little bit and I was looking to run a water line (just simple PEX from an existing hose bib in the garage that is behind a whole-house filter) and add some valves to create a setup where I can CIP and not move hoses around during brew sessions (ie my hoses would be disconnected VERY rarely). Currently, I also have to drain from my mash a couple of times during my mash to reheat water and then pump back into my mash (kind of a junk HERMS setup), so I am looking at adding a RIMs setup to reduce some brew day time and increase accuracy/efficiency.

While I am at all of that, I could just install the automated valves and a BCS to run them, but my panel is really not set up for an additional heating element - my question is, with the panel I have, could I hijack the system using BCS to power the pieces currently being powered by my panel (pump and BoilCoil) and still power the valves I want to install (7 I believe). If the answer is yes, how many additional parts would I need in order to have my RIMS (like this one https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/rimsfullkit1.htm ) integrated into that system also? I assume an additional SSR?

So am I 1 SSR away from having the whole system integrated? Or do I need additional relays to power valves?

Thanks!
Scott

The 460 doesn't have enough outputs (6) so you would need the 462 (18).
Yes it can power your pump, boilcoil, RIMS, and 7 valves.
You would need 1x SSR for the RIMS and a 1x relay for each valve (7).
The BCS uses special temp probes, so you need at least 2.
Assuming you already have SSR for the boilcoil and a SSR or relay for the pump.

To reduce space you can buy a module board to handle the relays, something similar to this:
http://www.miniinthebox.com/8-chann...CAJ2TPRmf00081GwBkLtQ1olf-s0fxOBoCqoAQAvD_BwE
*this was a quick search, it may not work for your purposes, suggestion only.

Why wouldn't you want to run everything from the BCS?
I would expect the existing panel to be scrapped for parts to build the BCS control panel.

The old panel is really nice actually and I was figuring I could use a cheaper enclosure to just house the bcs - it doesn’t need buttons or anything fancy since I already have all of that installed in the other panel. Also it is all professionally installed so it’s nice and neat.

In my mind at least, the bcs could simple link into the power and take over the connections currently running to the pid. That would keep me from needing to destroy and part the current panel for basically the cost of conduit, a plastic enclosure, and some wire.

Am I missing something?

The old panel is really nice actually and I was figuring I could use a cheaper enclosure to just house the bcs - it doesn’t need buttons or anything fancy since I already have all of that installed in the other panel. Also it is all professionally installed so it’s nice and neat.

In my mind at least, the bcs could simple link into the power and take over the connections currently running to the pid. That would keep me from needing to destroy and part the current panel for basically the cost of conduit, a plastic enclosure, and some wire.

Am I missing something?
Its not really very practical.. what your considering is like having a computer but only using it for google and using a typwriter for everything else. What is the bcs going to do "further down the line"? if your just wanting this for a rims your better off just using another pid box setup for that.

Are you just doing this to have a cooler looking display? automation is cool but it takes a good understanding of things to setup too. That said you cant automate and use your old control panel. the bcs needs control over everything.
As already mentioned the point of a BCS is that it can do everything that your analog panel does now plus more... but using both would severely limit the capabilities and null much of the upgrade potential here... The bcs pid functions wont work any better then the one you have either.. You could actually use the same pid for say your boil kettle and the rims since the the temp of the boil kettle doesnt matter and it will work just as well to boil.

If it were me I would get whole new panel (Might want to look at the Brucontrol arduino based solution too. Its what I upgraded too and it has advantages over the bcs system). I know brundog sold his bcs system when he finished the brucontrol software as it has a lot more functionality and less limitations.
Then when your comfortable with it, sell your old panel...

Back