Upgrading a 5cf keezer from 2 taps to 3 taps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCAg2002

Reaction score
I bought a used keezer on Facebook about a year ago, and it is only 5cf and has two taps. It's worked well for me, but I've always thought a 3 tap system is better for my needs. I'm considering upgrading it to a three taps where two kegs sit on the floor and the other will sit on the hump.

Obviously, this means a new collar. Right now, the collar is an insulated 1x4. Seems easy enough to pop off, but I don't have any idea what the previous owner used to glue it on the freezer. Any advice to removing the existing collar without breaking anything?

Also, are there any concerns with having three kegs in this setup with a larger collar? I think a 2x8 will provide sufficient clearance for the ball lock keg on the hump.

The higher you go the harder it is on your back to lift in and out. You could put a ball lock keg on the hump with disconnects and then measure up from the existing collar to get an idea as to what size is needed. It would also provide a visual as to whether you can fit all three properly. Don't forget about whatever additional manifolds or secondary regulators you might want to get in there.

Maybe pry up the back corner to see what was used but hard to know what they might have done. Sliding a spackle knife in the gap could be an approach to loosen it. If the surface ends up rough you could put foam tape in between to seal the gap later.

I'm hesitant to make suggestions about removal in case the former owner used something super strong. However I was initially thinking about how when removing molding, it helps to score the paint with a utility knife in the corner between the wall and wood. I think you might dig in and score the surface if you tried that but maybe a slightly wider blade wouldn't dig in so much if the spackle knife didn't work. Go slow if you try that as I always manage to score the wall somewhere and spackle just won't look right on the keezer!

Are there any concerns about the cooling capacity with the larger collar?

I do as 5-gal batches as well, but there is a lot of flexibility for that size brew. Two-2.5 gal kegs filled; two 3 gal. kegs (purged but not filled to the top); one smaller keg and the remainder bottled, etc. I have a larger converted chest freezer and there's always a couple of 3 gal. cornies on the hump.

That hump area is good for stray bottles and cans of beer or other liquids you want cold. Having a 2.5 or 3 gallon corny is a nice option for split batches of beer or even wine, root beer or mead. Just about anything you want to dispense from your cooler would work.

Did you contact the previous owner? I'd do that first thing if you haven't already.

On my old keezer, I used the included baskets to hold stray bottles/cans of beer above the hump since I couldn't fit a 5 gallon corny there.

Back