Up to the yeast now!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gladius270

Reaction score
Since everyone seems to make a post of this nature, I will follow suit. Just finished up my first batch. American Pale Ale Extract Kit from Brewer's Best. It's sitting in the primary now. I decided to pitch the Nottingham yeast dry into the bucket, just to keep it simple for this first brew. Wort was 72* and, I hit the recommended OG pretty much right on. Now I just hold my breath until I see the airlock bubbling!

I did a similar kit and let it sit in primary for 2 weeks, checked hydrometer readings over 4 days and when it stabled I racked to a secondary. So as I have read, bubbling doesn't indicate fermenting, hydrometer readings are only way to tell when it's complete. But the bubbling is exciting to know SOMETHING is happening. Congrats on your first brew and I'm sure it will come out awesome! Cheers

The temps will end up being under 70. I'm fermenting in my basement, probably stays closer to 55-60 down there. I didn't realize that 72* may be a couple of degrees warm when I pitched.

As long as the temp was going down,it'll be fine. But 55-60F is too cold for the average ale yeast. 65F would be better. Try puting a blanket over it & don't leave it on the floor. If that's where it is.

You will be fine in the basement. The temp range for that yeast is 57-70. I always prefer to ferment in the lower end of most yeasts.

Keep it off the floor and you will be perfect.

Congrats! Im on my 3rd batch. Im sure you have heard, the hardest part is the wait. I actually brewed the next 2 before I even tasted the first one! I just couldnt stop. I already have my next 3 brew days planned, but I am out of fermenting buckets LOL

I know that it's not a "fermentation indicator", but my airlock is showing signs of pressure building in the bucket. I'm just gonna assume that it's a good thing.

Has anyone actually found the stick on thermometers for the buckets useful? Mine isn't showing anything.

I'm in a situation where I may have happened into another fermenting bucket. Might get another brew going fairly soon.

I find the stick-ons really helpful. I also keep a "regular" thermometer in the area where I am fermenting or conditioning to understand the ambient temp. Sometimes those stickers take a little while to show a reading. If they are inbetween temps sometimes they are hard to read too. Other than that, they work fine for me? :drunk:

Update on the fermentation:

The thermometer on the bucket is finally giving me a reading, and it's looking like 66* right now. I'm gonna be content with that temp for sure.

Back