Unwashed Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wup

Reaction score
Well, I saved the yeast from my second batch and thought i did a decent job washing. However today, I saw what washed yeast was supposed to look like and it looked nothing like mine. I got two bottles of it, i split one up to pitch into two batches over the weekend. Today I cleaned the other bottle further, and half of it turned out to be nasty smelling trub, and the other half looked like clean yeast I saw. So my question is, will the stuff I pitched have any noticable effect on my other batches?

Thanks

Wup

I like yeast washing. It makes me feel good. And it makes me feel like I'm using mostly pure ingredients. The funny thing is, you're probably going to see no ill effects from pitching a little trub in with your yeast. Some even say it might help because trub contains some minerals/proteins/etc that act as yeast nutrients. RDWHAHB!

Back