Unsure what is going on here....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyoptical

Reaction score
I racked over my IPA into secondary fermentation and after 2 weeks this is what I found. Any help as to what is going on here would be amazing.

aavytk.jpg

I think the large headspace in the bucket with all the associated oxygen allowed an infection to grab hold, as you've got a pellicle there. That's classic sign of infection.

doesn't look real good to me unless you have blueberries or something else in there. Any you may have racked too soon, you have a krausen line, which you shouldn't have in secondary.

Taste it and see if it taste ok. If not you can always let it ride out and see what it taste like. Normally hops and sour don't go to great together, but who knows how it may end up.

aavytk.jpg

Not sure what is going on here. I did primary fermentation for 2 weeks on this IPA and then 2 weeks in secondary. This is what was waiting for me when I opened up the bucket. Any ideas?

Thanks for the replies everyone. I did not add any fruit or anything strange to the beer except did a dry hop during the first day of secondary. I am going to taste it tomorrow and see what the result is. I most likely will toss it since I don't feel like taking a chance on hurting or making myself or friends sick due to the infection.

It wont hurt you or make you sick. May taste like complete crap, though. If it makes you feel any better I've got brown ale that picked up a brett infection. I've been letting it ride for a few months now. Doesn't taste bad or sour, just funky.

I did primary fermentation for 2 weeks on this IPA and then 2 weeks in secondary. This is what was waiting for me when I opened up the bucket. Any ideas?
1) don't secondary.
2) if you do secondary do so in a tightly sealed container without any headspace.
3) see #1.

Back