Unsanitary Stainless Weld?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicalBrewer

Reaction score
I bought an entire brew setup from a guy who was getting out of brewing. Among the equipment was an 8 gallon pot with a 3/8" nipple welded on. Where the weld is on the inside of the pot is really brown, almost black.

Is this an unsanitary weld?

Is the pot useless now?

It's not a huge deal if it's worthless...I just don't want to brew in a pot if it's going to cause an infection in my beer.

Thanks in advance for your help!

First in the boil kettle sanitary welds are not a huge deal. The weld will get sanitized by the boiling beer every brew. It does sound like a weld that could use some work though. I would clean up the weld with some sandpaper to get the weld shinny and smoother.

Try using pbw cleaner before you brew. Stuff works wonders.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

First in the boil kettle sanitary welds are not a huge deal. The weld will get sanitized by the boiling beer every brew. It does sound like a weld that could use some work though. I would clean up the weld with some sandpaper to get the weld shinny and smoother.

^^^ +1, as long as all the metal is stainless and the brown is not "rust" your good. To add to the above suggestion. I prefer a green or red/maroon Scotch Brite pad and some Bar Keepers Friend.

Wow...thanks for the quick replies. Here's a picture of it. Tried a green scotch brite on it and it didn't help. After puting the camera in the kettle you can see the weld is definitely black.

And the warping you see is because someone has dropped the kettle and it is dented around the weld area.

20131228_091914.jpg

MusicalBrewer said:
Here's a picture of the outside weld.

Your going to need an angle grinder to get that sugaring off. That's pretty bad. Do you have a grinder?

I agree with Domantori, and unfortunately from the looks of the backside of that weld you have your work cut out for you. But with some work it should see a drastic improvement.

Your going to need an angle grinder to get that sugaring off. That's pretty bad. Do you have a grinder?

Or a dremel with a number of grinding stones. Most folks without a lot experience with a grinder can do you damage than good on a thin pot like that...I know before I did the roll-cage for my race car I would have.

Clean and polish the weld to your hearts desire, but also rest assured there is nothing there that will harm your boiling wort.
Corrective cosmetic work optional IMHO.

I have done a little metal work and am comfortable grinding this down. The weld does look nasty, but I'm more concerned with the sanitary aspect. I'll probably touch it up a bit just because it looks gross to me...LOL

I just don't want to throw out a kettle if I don't have to.

Thanks for all your help!

if you were ferementing in that thing, i'd run for the hills, but for a boil kettle, you're fine. One of my keggles has some sugaring like that from a weld I did before getting a proper backpurge setup, but for pre-boil, it doesn't hurt anything

MusicalBrewer said:
I have done a little metal work and am comfortable grinding this down. The weld does look nasty, but I'm more concerned with the sanitary aspect. I'll probably touch it up a bit just because it looks gross to me...LOL I just don't want to throw out a kettle if I don't have to. Thanks for all your help!

Just don't grind through the thin kettle wall.:)

MusicalBrewer said:
I'll make sure I grind before I've had a few :drunk: That should improve my odds some...

Lol. Also, make sure and use a new grinding wheel or one that has only been used on stainless. You probably already know this but just a friendly reminder.

I weld brewing systems every day and this is burn through caused by not purging the backside of the weld. I wouldn't do anything to it cause you could open up pinholes if you grind it and either way it'll rust. Unless you ground it then welded over the spot you ground down. I've seen plenty of kettles and mash tuns with rust in them cause of mild steel rakes and whatnot. Not too bad for you I assume since those companies are still in business.

I weld brewing systems every day and this is burn through caused by not purging the backside of the weld. I wouldn't do anything to it cause you could open up pinholes if you grind it and either way it'll rust. Unless you ground it then welded over the spot you ground down. I've seen plenty of kettles and mash tuns with rust in them cause of mild steel rakes and whatnot. Not too bad for you I assume since those companies are still in business.

Thanks for the tip! Would never have thought about the pin holes in the welds.

I think it's going to just be used as a mash tun--that will save me having to grind, and then everything that comes out of it will be boiled

Back