Unpasteurized Honey and Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gradnin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am working on an all-grain barleywine. Tried the recipe that I have once before. That time, I added pasteurized honey to the wort about 15 minutes before the end of the boil and then fermented with high gravity yeast.

Now playing with the recipe. Will the flavor change if I add the honey after the wort cools? Additionally, if I use unpasteurized honey instead and add it after the wort cools, will the wild yeast (assuming it has some) in the honey actually ferment? Was thinking about adding the honey, waiting a week and then adding high gravity yeast (likely WLP099.)

Will this actually change the flavor?

I wouldn't tempt the residents of the honey. If there were any wild yeast dormant in there, you would be severely under pitching. I recommend not adding any honey in the boil, pitch your preferred yeast as normal, and then add your honey after a week or when the high fermentation activity slows down. Depending how large of a % the honey is, you may get a lower final gravity and pick up some flavor affects.

If you're hell bent on the wild yeast front, use some of your honey and make a starter to see what you get. If the starter tastes good, then build it up prior to brew day. That's far safer than gambling a full batch.

Honey is a natural low-moisture content substance which gives very little for bacteria, yeast, etc. to grow on. So, for the most part, it is pretty safe to add post boil. I would never add honey during the boil, as all the wonderful aromatics quickly boil off.

For convenience, I add honey to my beers during the wort cool-down, usually when below 130-F. I also think adding to the primary is fine too, especially after the yeast have moved past their lag phase and into primary fermentation. Nothing in the honey would be able to compete against a full active fermentation of beer yeast. I prefer unpasteurized honey when I can find it. :)

Of course, adding after primary works fine too. Just take care not to add any oxygen after primary by excessive stirring or sloshing. Oxidation is not a good flavor for beer, and after the lag phase, the yeast don't need anymore O2 in the beer.

Good luck!
--LexusChris

Back