Unlisted preservatives on juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evfk

Reaction score
I found some cheap ($4/gal) juice at Jewel/Osco that claimed to have only "unfiltered apple juice" in it... it was pasteurized. I'd try a bunch of this for cider, but I'm a little suspicious that it actually has preservatives that will inhibit the yeast... it's out on a shelf rather than refrigerated, and has a best by date of later 2017.
Does this probably imply that there's something in there other than apples, whether or not it's listed on the ingredient list? It's Signature brand from Jewel, if anyone is familiar with it. I didn't bother asking someone at the store about it because I assumed they wouldn't know.

It's likely been sterilized with UV. But I hear you on the best by date and unchilled storage...

If it contained sorbate or sulphites it has to be listed as some people are allergic to them. Those preservatives don't kill mold spores, UV does, IIRC. Hope someone else can chime in.

You could buy a jug and try some with a bit of yeast and see if it takes off.

Last edited:
I ran into something similar yesterday.
"White House" fresh pressed cider.
No sugar, no artificial, not from concentrate.
I was initially concerned by how much cheaper it was but I kinda dig all the dregs swishing around at the bottom of the bottle.
If I remember I'll post back in many months with how the apfelwein I'm about to make with it tastes.
I would love to believe that preservatives are legally required to be listed...

I think they're required by law to list any additives on the label. Look at the fine print - if it says sodium benzoate or potassium sorbate "added to preserve freshness", then pass on it.

Back