Unintended Zeus Trimming, is it dead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoshin

Shoshin Picobrewery
Reaction score
Hi All,

I live in Baltimore, and I planted a healthy CTZ rhizome a couple of months ago. It gets great sunlight all day, and up until this afternoon it was growing quite strongly (probably over 3 feet tall climbing some twine on my front porch). It only had one bine break the surface of the soil, so I let that bine ride. The local kid who cuts the grass very enthusiastically cut the sucker off almost at the dirt with a weed wacker. There is a pair of leaves still attached to the bine coming out of the ground, and I want to hope that all is not lost. Is there any hope? Will my root die? Will I have any chance for growth after this? Can someone peer into the future? I just want to know how much hope I should have for some recovery.

It should be fine...keep it In partial sun till it recovers...don't let the soil dry out but don't over water.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've been told not to trim back first year plants. But seeing as it's been assaulted with a string trimmer, I would say cut it at the ground and hope for the best. Even if it doesn't produce another vine this year, I may work on establishing a root system and come up like crazy next year (This happened with my Columbus, which I think is the same thing). I'd also recommend some kind of fencing in the future so the kid knows there's something there next time. Good luck!

If you still have a set of leaves left on it there should still be nodes where side arms will start growing. Hopefully 2 new growth tips will grow from those nodes. One will be dominate and grow as the new tip. Get some wire mesh or short fence to make a ring around it so it dosnt happen again.

Excellent, thanks all for the reassurance :)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back