First year hop growth - one bine dying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradTheGeek

Reaction score
Got some rhizomes this year to plant. 4 cascade and one zeus. I am in central VA. Got the rhizomes in March - had a lot of late cold and ground was hard. Put them in the fridge and built boxes and planted in April - they were almost 4 weeks in fridge. One looked a little fungusy.

The cascades are on the sunny south side of my house. Gets fairly damp here too. The boxes have a thin layer of gravel and sand under, and seem to drain well. The twine I have going up is about 13-15 ft up, plan to move it up higher in later years. I did not trim back first growth - other than keeping the strongest looking bine from each and cutting the others. The zeus is on the front of my house where there is a trellis arch over the sidewalk - I plan to train them up that. the zeus and all but one cascade are fine. Also, I did put two plants in one box, and it is one of these that is dying.

We had a huge amount of rain, but the boxes are not sopping. I checked this morning and even photographed and did not notice it wilting. This evening it is, and the stem/bine where it comes out of the grown is kindof of blown apart looking - see pics.

Any ideas what could have done it? I want to know if there is a pest or something I am missing. There is a second tiny bine coming out, so I think the plant will survive, but it is the smallest of all of them, even the zeus which started growth almost a week later.

Dying bine:
ptH0bAN.jpg

Stem pic:
WYcEPSJ.jpg

This morning:
ugKQaQo.jpg

Whole bed:
sIX8vRX.jpg

Zeus (why not show it off)
BWobBt6.jpg

Back