My 12-plant trellis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennyRedman

Reaction score
Here's my trellis project I just finished up last night. I got started a bit later than I wanted to this year unfortunately, but being first-year plants, everything should be cool. It's 40' long and the cable is 15' tall. Thanks to everyone here for all the good ideas and inspiration!

Here's the final product:
00_trellis.jpg

I planted 8 rhizomes a few weeks ago. 2 each of Cascade, Chinook, Nugget, and CTZ. I later received 2 Centennial plants and 2 Sorachi Ace plants:
01_pots.jpg

They started sprouting in no time. I used a mix of dirt from when we expanded some flower beds and some bagged garden soil:
02_sprouts.jpg

Off they go:
03_growing.jpg

I started off by marking where I wanted it to go. This area gets the most sun in our back yard. It's 40' long x 3 1/2' wide:
04_markingoff.jpg

I then cut the edges:
05_cutting.jpg

I used my mulching mower to scalp all the grass down and removed as much sod as I could:
06_sod.jpg

I borrowed my friend's 4HP tiller to break up the soil.
07_tilling.jpg

The ground was sooo hard, that I had to break it up first with my trusted shovel:
08_tilling.jpg

More shoveling and tilling:
09_tilling.jpg

I added several hundred pounds of compost and manure and some sand to amend the clay soil:
10_compost.jpg

Soil's all ready:
11_soil.jpg

I dug 3-1/2" holes for the posts:
12_postholes.jpg

Got 2 6" Red Pine posts from Sugar Creek Hops:
13_posts.jpg

After cutting the posts down to 19.5', I attached 2 large eyebolts to the top of each post. One faces inwards for the cable, and one faces outwards in case I need to add reinforcement cables.
14_posts.jpg

Plumbed them with 2x4's:
15_postset.jpg

Backfilled them and tamped them really good:
16_posttamp.jpg

17_posttamp.jpg

Now it was finally time to get the plants in the ground. I spaced them at 3' apart:
18_plant.jpg

19_plant.jpg

I installed a winch to raise and lower the cable. Makes stringing and cutting them down easy:
20_winch.jpg

Strung up all the coir with clove hitch knots. They can easily be slid around to line up with the plant:
21_coir.jpg

I then raised the cable, staked the ends of the coir, and trained 7 or 8 of the plants that were ready:
22_train.jpg

All done!
23_finished.jpg

Great project documentation, it looks great. I wish I had been as diligent in tracking mine. Would love to see more pics at harvest time

Great project documentation, it looks great. I wish I had been as diligent in tracking mine. Would love to see more pics at harvest time
Thanks! I saw yours on another thread- looks like we have pretty similar setups.

What size pots are you growing some of your other ones in?

Very cool build! It is very well thought out build. I love the winch! When the cable begins to loosen, its a quick turn of the winch, and all will be right with the world. Keep us all updated with your hop plant progress!

Looks good. I'm planning on rowing mine better this fall. Planning on doing raised rows.

Same variety? Or what varieties? Multiples may be a little tough come harvest time if they start wrapping on each other.

Very cool build! It is very well thought out build. I love the winch! When the cable begins to loosen, its a quick turn of the winch, and all will be right with the world. Keep us all updated with your hop plant progress!

Will do! I had seen some others where the entire line comes down with winches on both sides, but this seemed just as effective. So far the plants are taking well to their new homes and are starting to climb.

Looks good. I'm planning on rowing mine better this fall. Planning on doing raised rows.

Same variety? Or what varieties? Multiples may be a little tough come harvest time if they start wrapping on each other.

I have 6 actually, so we'll see what happens because I know they will start to tangle, but oh well! Left to Right, it 2 each of Centennial, Nugget, Cascade, Chinook, CTZ, and Sorachi Ace.

Looks great and I see the little engineer approves!

She does! She's been helping me water them each day and gets a kick out of it :)

After only 5 weeks in the ground, they're starting to hit the 6ft mark. If you see the black line on the coir level with my neck, that's where it was on Monday.

I also set up some 1Gal/hour drip irrigation. (This pic's from last weekend)

image.jpeg

image.jpg

Back