Unibroue Trois Pistoles or Chambly clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirsloop

Reaction score
anyone have a recipe for either of thse two, EG? Ive been drinking them for years and decided its time to stop paying 8 bucks a 6 pack for them :p

thanks!
JD

Trois Pistoles is one of my all-time favorite beers, and I'd love to do a clone myself. I know that Wyeast has a strain that is supposedly from Unibroue; it's called the belgian/canadian strain or something.

My only guess is that the recipe would call for some Special B malt, maybe a tiny bit of chocolate, and some belgian candy sugar. Other than that, I'm not sure. Maybe aromatic or biscuit? I've never seen a clone recipe for it, although I suppose I could look harder.

Found this

GRAINS
9 oz Crystal 60
9 oz Cara Munich
4 oz Biscuit
1.5 oz Chocolate

MALT EXTRACT (avoid Laaglander! Too many dextrines)
9 lb Extra Light DME
1 lb Dark Belgian candi sugar
1 lb Invert sugar (Lyles Golden Syrup)

HOPS & SPICES
1.25 oz Styrian Goldings (55 min)

1/2 oz Styrian Goldings (15 Min)
1/8 tsp. Anise (15 min)
1/4 oz bitter orange peel (15 min)

1/4 oz Saaz hops (3 min)
1/8 tsp Anise (3 min)
1/4 tsp Coriander (3 min)

YEAST
Wyeast 3864 (This is one of their VSS strains that they only make Sept. through Dec. -- you could probably replace it with another Belgian ale yeast, perhaps WLP500, ask around about this one). I pitched 2 of these due to the high gravity. You’ll probably want to do a good half-gallon to a gallon starter.

BOTTLING
Bottle with 1/2 Cup Corn Sugar
and 1/2 cup Clear Belgian candi sugar
----------------------------------------------------------------
Steeped grains at 155° for 30 minutes
Total boil time = 60 minutes

awesome!

As far as the yeast goes... can't I pour a couple of brewdogs and wash the yeast out of the bottom of the bottle with some freshly boiled sweet wort?

Evets said:
Huh! I think that's the first AHS recipe I've seen that didn't recommend a particular yeast.

Possibly because it calls for the Wyeast strain that isn't currently being made? And they just never put in something else? I dunno, that's the best I can come up with after 8 hours of physics homework.

sirsloop said:
awesome!

As far as the yeast goes... can't I pour a couple of brewdogs and wash the yeast out of the bottom of the bottle with some freshly boiled sweet wort?

In some cases, you could do that, but the yeast that Unibroue uses to bottle carbonate and condition their beers is not the same super awesome yeast they use for the main fermentation. It's a more neutral yeast that doesn't have much unique character. You'd be sorely disappointed if you used it in an attempted Belgian style ale.

i'm gonna try out WLP570 Belgian Golden for the Trois Pistoles. I'm gonna try to get temps up to around 75-80°F for the log period to get it a bit funkier. Ambient is 70°F so I'm gonna try a 100W light bulb on the primary to heat things up a bit. I expect high alcohol content around 9-10% so a pretty tolerant yeast is required...

6pk for $8 pretty good deal. Here it's 9.99 a 4pk. Just tried to clone La Fin but it's still in primary so don't know how will turn out.

sirsloop said:
i'm gonna try out WLP570 Belgian Golden for the Trois Pistoles. I'm gonna try to get temps up to around 75-80°F for the log period to get it a bit funkier. Ambient is 70°F so I'm gonna try a 100W light bulb on the primary to heat things up a bit. I expect high alcohol content around 9-10% so a pretty tolerant yeast is required...

If you make a good-sized starter, you may not even need the lightbulb. When I brewed my trappist, I made a quart starter, and had a major blow-off and fermentation temps north of 74ºF, in a bathroom with ambient temp around 70ºF. You don't wanna go above 80ºF, and that could be pushing the envelope a bit too much. My trappist is plenty funky. :D

Well, funk is great and all, but if you get too close to 80ºF you're moving past esters and phenols and into the realm of fusel alcohols, which are NOT pleasant to drink. Just something to consider. :tank:

I'm going to rack this Trois Pistoles into secondary this Saturday - Keg it maybe a week later - and will start drinking it... oh... idk... maybe the 3rd week in april...

My Trois Pistoles clone came out pretty great. The flavor is pretty close. I've got a bottle in the fridge that I might pop open after work tonight. I'm trying to be patient with this one because I know the belgians age really well. I've only had a couple of the small bottles so far. I've got a couple dozen 750mL bottles conditioning. It was in primary a month, secondary a month, and now in bottles for almost two months. I think it might just be hitting its stride.

Well, I had it last night. It's pretty delicious, and pretty close. The carbonation is not quite like the real thing, but overall, it is extremely drinkable. Like my previous belgian style ale, the esters are strong, but I've found that if I leave the beer in the fridge for a couple weeks, the fruitiness decreases and the maltiness becomes more prevalent.

... decided its time to stop paying 8 bucks a 6 pack for them :p
JD

Let say that it's time for me too.. I live at about 30min from where it's brewed and I'm paying them about 13$ (CAD) the 6pack... Plus the awfull federal and provincial taxes (about 15%), and the bottles that I have to be refund...

Maybe they can give you some yeast if you send them an email?

Always get Trois Pistoles at bars around here, usually costs the same as macrobrews.

Back