Unibroue Trois Pistoles extract clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirsloop

Reaction score
soo... I just got a trois pistoles kit in from AHB... WOW.... INSANE kit!! This is gonna be like 9.5-10% ABV!!!

2.5gallons @ 155° - 15 minutes
9oz Crystal 60L
9oz caramunich
1/4lbs biscuit malt
1.5oz moravian black

60minute boil
1can Lyles Golden Syrup (1lbs)
10lbs Pale Extract
1lb Dark Belgian Candi Sugar

60min
1.25oz Styrian Golding

15min
1/8tsp anise spice
.5oz styrian golding
.25oz bittering orange peel

5min
1/8tsp anise spice
.25oz saaz

WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale Yeast
From East Flanders, versatile yeast that can produce light Belgian ales to high gravity Belgian beers (12% ABV). A combination of fruitiness and phenolic characteristics dominate the flavor profile. Some sulfur is produced during fermentation, which will dissipate following the end of fermentation.
Attenuation: 73-78%
Flocculation: Low
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-75°F
Alcohol Tolerance: High

There are "unibroue" yeast clones out there, but they are seasonal. This yeast seemed like a pretty good match for what I was shooting for.

Its a 5 gallon recipe with a partial boil. I included the initial boil volume so grain and hops utilization would be accurate.

Lol... all that sugar for a 2.5 gallon batch... that would be like Trent Pistoles ;)

hrmm... the kit came with 10# of LME. SO 10# of LME, 1lbs of that golden syrup (tasted like honey), and 1lbs of dark candi only equaled out to 1.062 OG! I was expecting something a touch closer to 1.080. Its happily fermenting like crazy thanks to my 2-day liter starter...we'll see how it turns out.

I'm pretty sure the recipe calls for DME, which is why the OG was so low. I suppose next time I make it, I'll just buy a big arse bag of DME and ramrod the sugar in there ;)

btw, the anise and orange peel smells FANTASTIC in there. I'm really looking forward to trying this come april 5th!

Latest posts

Back