Unexplained Berry Flavor??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayPowHound

Reaction score
I've got a real thinker going on over here. Circumstances would suggest I just screwed up, but memories and notes (even photos!) suggest I didn't.

On 10/12 I brewed a Stout. I didn't have the space in my MLT or kettle for the amount of grain I used and therefore I ended up really slacking on the sparge water, which hurt my OG. Ok, no problem there, I understand what the issue was.

I kegged it on 11/1 after a long primary (which still only achieved 68% attenuation, but again that's not the issue here) and in the keg I put 2 oz. of Raspberry Liquer and a hopsack with 1 oz. of cascade and 2 oz. bakers chocolate tucked behind the dip tube.

I labeled the keg with a piece of tape that reads "Chocolate Raspberry Stout, 11/1" I pumped 12psi into it, unhooked it, and let it sit in the 45-55 degree garage to condition. (Didn't have the fridge space) Every few days or week or so I hook it back up to the gas to make sure it stays at 12. and on about 11/15 I hooked it up the the kegerator to try a sample, then un-hooked it and returned it to the garage.

On 11/7 I made a porter using a recipe I have used a couple of times before. I kegged it on 11/20, labeled the keg, and put it on gas in the keggerator, hooked to the same tap I used when I first tried the stout. I didn't clean the lines between beers, maybe that's the source of my issues?

Arriving home today from Thanksgiving I thought I'd tap into both and see how things were coming along. The Stout is fully carbed and tastes great. The chocolate is right up there with the maltiness and there's just a hint of raspberry at the finish. Not a sweet stout by any means.

Now the porter is what I'm concerned with. Not quite done carbing, it looks and smells like it should but has an overwhelming "berry-esque" sweetness to it. It honestly tastes like I dumped a bunch of extract or liqueur into it but I didn't. I only put 2 oz. of liqueur in the stout and I know that was where I put it because the keg is labeled with name and date and my notes support it.

So how can I explain the berry flavors in my porter? Is there some sort of infection that would taste fine, but add a sweet berryness to the beer? Is there any way my hoses / kegerator could have gotten the liqueur stuck in them or something? The same tap the porter is on I used to try the stout about a week and a half ago...

I'm really, really confused here... anyone have any ideas??

what about yeast strain and fermentation temps?

Do you get the berry-flavor in the stout where it should be?

The stout was 1084 - Irish Ale and the porter was 1098 - British ale. Both fermented a little warm (as per my standard :( ) at around 65-68.

The berry flavor is there at the finish of the stout but it's very very mild really just a hint. Should I be tasting it more with 2oz. of liqueur in 5 gal or is this about right?

Back