undissolved sugar at the bottom of fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

george303

Reaction score
Hi,

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm just a bit worried as it's my first brew. There appears to be a lot of white stuff at the bottom of my fermenter, now my first guess would be its undissolved sugar as its only been brewing 12hrs, would this be enough time to build up anything else such as Trub?
I mixed my 1kg bag of sugar with 2 litres of boiling water before adding to the fermenter so I thought it had disolved. If it is sugar should I stir it up, or will the yeast find it? The brew appears to be fermenting will as there's a massive bubbly head on top.

Cheers for any advice in advance, I'm sure you can sympathise with a brewing novices first time worries.

George

Not sugar, it's trub and totally normal. This is all the debris that settles out of the beer as it ferments including the yeast once it is done fermenting and flocculates out.

Yup. The trub settles out first. It starts settling out not to long after pitching ime. The grainy silty stuff that made it into the fermenter settles out first. Along with any cold break you may've gotten when adding cold top off water. It'll also compress on the bottom as primary goes on. On my last batch,I got 1L of trub & cold break right after pitching. It compressed down to about 1/4th of the original volume.

Back