Undissolved DME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lnxusr

Reaction score
I just finished my second brew, the True Brew Oktoberfest style ale. While cleaning up the brew pot, I noticed some small sugar looking grains in the sink. There's no indication of burning, so I'm not worried about that, but is there a problem with fermenting a wort with possible undissolved DME? I did use Irish Moss for the first time, could that be what the grains were?

On another note, I used a fine nylon bag to hold the hops during boil. After cleaning, it has a slight hops aroma and green tint to it. I'm soaking it in a jar of Oxyclean and water right now. If this doesn't get rid of the aroma, could it effect the taste during the future brews?

Should be fine on the DME. I've had a similar problem but the IPA I was making turned out excellent. Can't do anything about it now but RDWHAHB.

Don't worry about the hop bag. Compared to the amount of flavor from unboiled hops in future brews, any effect from the residue would be indistinguishable.

Thanks doggage. I just took the bag out of the jar. It stills has a slight hop aroma, but I'm not going to worry about it.

I use a bag for my hops and it has a green color that will never go away. Clean it the best you can and don't worry. I usually do all grain but I keep DME on hand for starters and in case of emergency if I'm way off on my OG. I always mix it with cold water and then add that into the wort. It dissolves much better at cool temps for some reason. If you add it directly to hot water it clumps up really bad (as it sounds like you found out). Good luck.

Back