Understanding DME Spec Sheet - Plato vs. SG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmferris

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I like to know the "how and why" something is what it is. So, as a learning exercise, I've been trying to run out some calculations by hand. What has me confused is the Briess spec sheet for their Golden Light DME.

I only have two questions around this, so far... :D

• The specifications state that the product is 8° Plato. However, the usage chart on the right implies that the OG would be around 1.045, if I use a ratio to build out the PPG this way: .89 / 40 = 1 /G, solving for G. That gives me something right around 1.04497. This appears to be the number that Beer Smith is using. How does Plato even come into play here, then? If I use the "multiply by four" rule, I still only end up around 1.032.
  • They lists "Solids" as 97%. Does that just mean that the moisture content of this DME is around 3%? How does the moisture content impact the OG calculations, if at all?

For reference, the spec sheet (PDF) is: CBW Golden Light DME

Thank you for any help, in advance!

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but the formula for SG to Plato I have is: (668.72*SG)-(205.35*SG^2)-463.37

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but the formula for SG to Plato I have is: (668.72*SG)-(205.35*SG^2)-463.37

Thank you! Not exactly, but it does illustrate the problem I am having with their Plato value on the spec sheet. Taking it in reverse, starting with a 1.045 OG, I come out at around 11.3° Plato. That is where my confusion is coming in. :D

Take a closer look at that spec sheet. The 8 deg. Plato is referring to the mixture ratio at which they measured the color. The product itself cannot have a plato rating as it is not a liquid. The plato or sg you get out of using the product depends on the amount of water you use, as given in the usage chart.

You are on the right path by calculating the ppg, each of the ratios given in the usage chart come out to about 45. That number includes the moisture (or whatver the missing 3% is) so the whatver mass of DME you use you can multiply directly by your ppg to calculate gravity points. You do not need to account for that 3% elsewhere.

I also have a spreadsheet I made and am constantly updating that I use for various calculations, even though I also use BeerSmith. It's fun to run the numbers yourself. Lately, though I have been relying mainly on BeerSmith...

Ah! Thanks 2bluewagons! That makes perfect sense. Since I already figured out the ratio that I was using to come up with the OG, I can used the same method to determine the color at that PPG, as well.

I have, and like Beer Smith, although I find it to be a bit dated. I have to keep fighting the urge to want to write an application for me to use. As a software developer, I have this nasty habit of wanting to write code for everything. If I could only cash in on the unfinished projects on my machine, I could probably retire. ;)

Back