Underappreciated yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveruch

Reaction score
I just ordered this. Muntons is a much underappreciated yeast that's great for smaller batches. I like to use it for three gallons of bitter or mild.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221006-133805.png
    Screenshot_20221006-133805.png
    179.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yep, I prefer my butter mild ;) ... Munton's has changed a lot over the years. When I first started brewing, about all Munton's was was "that yeast pack you get taped to the top of the lme cans". It gained a bad rep then, and still hasn't recovered too well, but is a decent yeast now.

Yep, I prefer my butter mild ;) ... Munton's has changed a lot over the years. When I first started brewing, about all Munton's was was "that yeast pack you get taped to the top of the lme cans". It gained a bad rep then, and still hasn't recovered too well, but is a decent yeast now.
I totally agree. It did get a bad rap. Unfortunately it was more about the bad LME and horrible instructions that made the yeast not preform up to its potential. Its a good yeast and has much more great attributes than bad.

Cheers
Jay

I use that yeast occasionally when bottling for extra insurance when carbonating. It's cheap and comes in a small 6-gram package, so about half size normal yeast packets. I have not tried it in a ferment yet but will soon with a small batch.

I don't need any more yeast varieties to try for a good long time. :rolleyes: But how does white-label Muntons compare to Muntons Premium Gold?
Muntons Gold acts like Nottingham. Regular Muntons is not high esters, but it leaves more sugar and mouth feel. I pitch one pack of regular Muntions in 5 gallon batches of bitters and pale ales. It works fine.

Last edited:
I use that yeast occasionally when bottling for extra insurance when carbonating. It's cheap and comes in a small 6-gram package, so about half size normal yeast packets. I have not tried it in a ferment yet but will soon with a small batch.
I use it regularly in three gallon batches of bitter, mild, and other British ales.

Another inexpensive yeast that I think deserves some investigation is a wine yeast, K1-V1116. It is unusual for a wine yeast; it is POF- (non-phenolic) and it can ferment maltotriose so it attenuates well. I don't know if it is diastaticus or not, but I don't think so. It does create a lot of esters but not banana esters. It has a high alcohol tolerance, and it is a "killer" yeast that doesn't like competition.

I've used it for beer once, in a lightly-hopped SMASH beer with pilsner malt and I don't remember what hops but probably something almost-noble like Sterling or Mt. Hood. I thought it turned out good; another member of my homebrew club thought it wasn't bad but tasted a little weird (the esters?) It might be good in English beers. Or maybe Belgian (celebrate the weirdness), like a Rochefort copy. I think the Rochefort yeast strain is POF-.

Back when I started brewing , there was no thought as to the yeast ... the pack included with the can was what we used . I just got back into brewing and now I'm paying 10 bucks a pack for liquid yeast:no:. I was going to get some Danstar dry yeast for my next batch but I am going to check out the link to the Muntons you posted as well...thanks for the post .

Back when I started brewing , there was no thought as to the yeast ... the pack included with the can was what we used . I just got back into brewing and now I'm paying 10 bucks a pack for liquid yeast:no:. I was going to get some Danstar dry yeast for my next batch but I am going to check out the link to the Muntons you posted as well...thanks for the post .
You're welcome. This is one of the few good prices for brewday stuff on Amazon.

Latest posts

Back