Under pitching wheat yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjinsa

Reaction score
So something I am battling to find definitive info on - is under pitching a hefe yeast in order to get good banana aroma.

Does anyone know what a good rate of under pitching would be? 50%? does anyone have a guideline on this.

I will be using dry yeast - either danstar Munich/wb-06/mangrove jack Bavarian wheat.

I really love the banana/bubblegum aroma and battle to get it... Any other comments?

Well, it's a combination of both "under pitching" and high temperatures that will get you a fruity/banana taste. Generally speaking anything over 72F leans towards fruity while anything below leans towards cloves. There's not necessarily a "perfect" amount of under pitching or temperature that you can use, you have to experiment a bit and try yourself, personally I'd start at about 90% and go down from there. Personally, I'm more of a clove flavor person myself, so most of my experience is in the range of avoiding under pitching and higher temps with the yeast.

I brew alot of weizenbier.
I have used wb-06 many times from 66-70°F & never got the banana I was after. wy-3068 @ 70-72° is what finally got me there.
IMHO... liquid yeast is far superior to dry for this style.

I have fermented at the upper limit for the dry strain and NEVER got banana. And every wb-06 I've tasted from others has never been banana at all.

Back