Under-Hyped Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddieb33

Reaction score
Earlier today I saw that someone had started a thread about over-hyped beers. It got me wondering, what does everyone think is an under-hyped beer? Any favorites that you never hear anyone talk about?

One of my favorite under-the-radar beers is Kiwi Rising by Jack's Abbey. Do yourself a favor and drink anything you can find from that brewery. But Kiwi Rising in particular is great. It's a super hoppy and smooth IPL.

There are thousands of Micro-breweries all over turning out award winning beer that only people in that state or several counties knows about.

As for styles that I feel are highly underrated:

1. American Amber Ale

2. English Pale Ale

Both of these appeal to pretty much any craft beer lover and are just excellent well rounded beers.

Sweetwater's Exodus Porter. Won them a ton of medals, and was one of my favorites, but they quit selling it because no one bought it.

Myrcenary- Odell
Flower Power India Pale Ale - Ithaca Beer Company
Pakos IPA - Snake River Brewing
Yeti - Great Devide

Chickow! from Triple Digit Brewing in Cincinnati, Ohio... one of my new favorites. Looking forward to grabbing some when I'm in Cincinnati this weekend.

Devil's Tramping Ground Tripel from Aviator Brewing in Fuquay-Varina, NC. This beer is trouble. So smooth, so tasty, no burn 9.5% ABV. A wonderful American-Belgian Tripel.

There are thousands of Micro-breweries all over turning out award winning beer that only people in that state or several counties knows about.

1. American Amber Ale

2. English Pale Ale

Both of these appeal to pretty much any craft beer lover and are just excellent well rounded beers.

I agree. The first one that popped into my head was Anderson Valley's Boont Amber. Samuel Smiths Pale Ale is an excellent English pale ale, too. Two styles that just don't get much respect nowadays.

Fresh-Squeezed IPA by Deschutes Brewery.. An excellent under 10 bucks for a 6-pack IPA if I've ever had one. And while I am on the IPA style, Union Jack by Firestone Walker, Little Sumpin' Sumpin' by Lagunitas, Anger (a black IPA) by Greenbrush brewery... very tasty brews.

My favorite style though are Imperial Stouts, and I have a special affinity for bourbon barrel aged stouts.

1. American Amber Ale

2. English Pale Ale

x100

I don't know that it is "under-hyped" but I love Hop Head Red from Green Flash. There are not a lot of beers I would drink before that one. Another beer I could drink all day long is Black Butte Porter by Deschutes.

I think they both get their respect, but I think most people see them as "just" ordinary good beers.

Sea Hag by New England Brewing Company! Also, California Lager by Anchor. Anything Jack's Abbey, especially kiwi rising. Old man esb from tree house brewing. More later!

I don't have a specific beer in mind but there's probably some little unknown brewpub near by making something great.

Black and Tan by Yuengling.

I love my craft brew, but, whenever I have one of these I say, " man, this is great! ".

It's cheap, consistent, and tasty.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Anything by Brouwerij De Dolle. If you've never heard of them, they are the dusty bottles in the corner of the craft beer store. Every beer I've had by them is amazing.

Scotch ales in general. I love em, but there aren't many that are widely available (at least not out here in the boondocks of SD). Cold Smoke scotch ale from the Kettlehouse in Missoula, MT is one of my favorite all time beers. It's lack of "hype" is probably due more to the fact that you can only get it in MT...and not even all of MT. It's definitely not under hyped in MT...every non-BMC drinker knows about it there.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think Bavarian Hefeweizen in general is a style that is very underhyped. At my wedding reception, we had franziskaner hefe on tap. Love me some of that.
Reds Ales are also underhyped, imo. flavorful, and such a variety from malty to hoppy, theres a lot there.
Just in WI alone theres variety
Lakefront Brewery's Fixed Gear is like a Red IPA,
vs Leinenkugels Red- sweet and smooth

Fresh-Squeezed IPA by Deschutes Brewery.. An excellent under 10 bucks for a 6-pack IPA if I've ever had one.

+1 to this. Tried this beer on tap a few weeks ago, and it tasted awesome. Bought a six pack to take back with me, and I'm trying to clone it very soon.

Sent from my spaceship in low orbit.

I don't know that it is "under-hyped" but I love Hop Head Red from Green Flash. There are not a lot of beers I would drink before that one. Another beer I could drink all day long is Black Butte Porter by Deschutes.

I think they both get their respect, but I think most people see them as "just" ordinary good beers.

Totally great beer! My local brewery here in Jacksonville Florida makes a rye pale...

Engine 15 - rye pale...just had to change names due to conflict.

Just awesome! Local favorite...for some reason reminds me of that beer... hoppy, but still good malt backbone.

Cheers.

I've got to put a vote in for Bells best brown ale, or brown ales in general. One or my favorite styles. Easy drinking but enough flavor to keep you interested.

Sent from my iPhone

Back