unboiled priming sugar in barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stella86

Reaction score
Ok really new to homebrewing and this is my first batch. today i transfered my lager from primary fermentation tub to my pressure barrel, i put some priming sugar in but didnt boil it, didnt realise it was required :confused:. i also forgot to stir my barrel, any advice would be much welcomed. Leave or boil some more sugar and add it? :mug:

I bottle almost exclusivly direct from the primary. No secondary, no bottling bucket. I have always just put 2/3 of a teaspoon of straight suger/dex/dme straight into the bottle using a funnel. Never boiled it, just jused it dry.

I know its a bad thing to do ;) but ive never had an infection, and my bottles always carb nicely.

Im pretty sure youll be ok as well.

At this point relax...trying to fix something would be more harm than good.

read lots about it but a lot of it conflicting. alot of answers are based on people bottling their brew. not something i plan on doing. thanks

But the mechanics are all the same- adding new sugar to the beer so the yeast eats it and produces co2....the only difference is the container you are doing it in, be it a bottle or a pressure barrel like you have or sugar priming in a keg, ultimately it's all the same.

Although what you did isn't optimal...meaning it would have been more sanitary had you boiled it, you are adding it to fermented beer so there is less of a chance that there's a problem, and like Priemus had said, he's added sugar straight with no infection issues.

Like I said earlier sometimes trying to "fix" something that may or may not be a problem, can cause more problem....had you added more sugar like you thought you would more than likely over carb your beer- had that been in a bottle, that would be dangerous, as it is in a pressure barrel it could have blown the gasket or whatever at worse, or just made gushy beer at best. Stirring fermented beer is NEVER a good idea, that runs the risk of causing oxydation of the beer. Oxygen + Fermented beer= Liquid cardboard. That would limit the time the beer would be drinkable and not stale....

The yeast is really good at finding food (sugar) regardless of whether we mix it or not....it's gonna find it.

That's way I don't recommend people go back and try to "fix" something...it's often best to just relax and see how it turns out, because 99.9% of the time it turns out fine. Read these stories to see what I mean.

But the mechanics are all the same- adding new sugar to the beer so the yeast eats it and produces co2....the only difference is the container you are doing it in, be it a bottle or a pressure barrel like you have or sugar priming in a keg, ultimately it's all the same.

Although what you did isn't optimal...meaning it would have been more sanitary had you boiled it, you are adding it to fermented beer so there is less of a chance that there's a problem, and like Priemus had said, he's added sugar straight with no infection issues.

Like I said earlier sometimes trying to "fix" something that may or may not be a problem, can cause more problem....had you added more sugar like you thought you would more than likely over carb your beer- had that been in a bottle, that would be dangerous, as it is in a pressure barrel it could have blown the gasket or whatever at worse, or just made gushy beer at best. Stirring fermented beer is NEVER a good idea, that runs the risk of causing oxydation of the beer. Oxygen + Fermented beer= Liquid cardboard. That would limit the time the beer would be drinkable and not stale....

The yeast is really good at finding food (sugar) regardless of whether we mix it or not....it's gonna find it.

That's way I don't recommend people go back and try to "fix" something...it's often best to just relax and see how it turns out, because 99.9% of the time it turns out fine. Read these stories to see what I mean.

thanks for the info. much appreciated.

Back