Unbalanced Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dilligaf76

Reaction score
My first try at all grain yielded a lower malt extraction than the recipe called but the hop addition were kept the same. I thought it would be ok but now I have an unbalance beer. Waaaay too hoppy and no malt to balance it. My question is: since this beer is kegged can I brew a quick 2.5 gallon batch of just malt, ferment it, dump it into 2.5 gallons of unbalanced beer, and have a decent beer? It makes sense to me and I'll probably do it since at this point I have nothing to loose.

If you don't mind waiting yes you can do this... not that there is any guarantee it will make it taste any better. I do like the experiment though.
If it's really bad you can just bottle it off and give it to friends or even store it for an extended time as age often helps "funky" beers taste better.

Yes you certainly can. That is one of the wonderful things about kegging. I ended up with a batch with the same problem (way to hoppy for the amount of malt). Like Malticulous, I just blend it with other beers of various styles in the glass, it is kind of fun to mix it with other different beers and see what happens. And I have plenty of beers that I thought ended up 'not hoppy enough', so they end up good together. You could also blend it in the keg, of course.

Back