Unanswered Sanke keg shaft removal, I DID IT!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmmmbeer

Reaction score
So I’ve done HBT, Youtube, google, you name it searches on how to take my Sanke keg shaft/valve out. I’ve found the “pull the ring out (as all of them have) and unscrew it like a nut and built”, I’ve found the “pull the ring out and simply pull the whole shaft out (and have done this for one of my kegs, by far the easiest) but I never found the one for the “O G. Heileman Brewing CO.” keg shaft/valve removal.
After many beers, an air hammer, chisel and hammer, hammer and flat head, few four letter words and refills later and some aggression caused by a week answering to the man, I figured out how to get the valve out of my keg!
Here is how to do it without doing much of the above said steps (a must keep in these steps is to drink a home brew, refill the home brew and yes, relax with the radio going). First turn the valve a hair, pull up (you will notice when this is done right, trust me, I wouldn’t steer you wrong) then turn about a quarter of an inch while pulling up at the same time and turn some more, its all done while pulling up and turning as the groves allow you to. It comes out very easily if you just stop thinking about the ways the other kegs work.
If you need photos/ more instructions, I would be glad to help you ease the agony!
Cheers and good luck!

oh I did forget to state that I did have another refill or two after that EPIC win! I really thought about cutting just a bit of the valve off but I wanted it to be clean because I'm using this keg as a fermenter so I stayed at the project.

So I’ve done HBT, Youtube, google, you name it searches on how to take my Sanke keg shaft/valve out. I’ve found the “pull the ring out (as all of them have) and unscrew it like a nut and built”, I’ve found the “pull the ring out and simply pull the whole shaft out (and have done this for one of my kegs, by far the easiest) but I never found the one for the “O G. Heileman Brewing CO.” keg shaft/valve removal.
After many beers, an air hammer, chisel and hammer, hammer and flat head, few four letter words and refills later and some aggression caused by a week answering to the man, I figured out how to get the valve out of my keg!
Here is how to do it without doing much of the above said steps (a must keep in these steps is to drink a home brew, refill the home brew and yes, relax with the radio going). First turn the valve a hair, pull up (you will notice when this is done right, trust me, I wouldn’t steer you wrong) then turn about a quarter of an inch while pulling up at the same time and turn some more, its all done while pulling up and turning as the groves allow you to. It comes out very easily if you just stop thinking about the ways the other kegs work.
If you need photos/ more instructions, I would be glad to help you ease the agony!
Cheers and good luck!

I have a G Heileman Sanke and am unable to remove the spear. I am sorry, I have read this post several times and it still does not make since. First turn the valve a hair in which direction? I can get the dispenser head off easily, although getting the spear out is another story. I know this is an old thread, could you please post additional information. Thanks

I have a G Heileman Sanke and am unable to remove the spear. I am sorry, I have read this post several times and it still does not make since. First turn the valve a hair in which direction? I can get the dispenser head off easily, although getting the spear out is another story. I know this is an old thread, could you please post additional information. Thanks

Counter-clockwise.

How did you get the retaining clip out? I don't see anything to grip onto to pull it out.

Back