UK Brewers! Help me think of an Xmas present for my all grain brewing brother

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProfessorWoland

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm hoping I've picked the right sub forum (tell me off and move this thread if I haven't!)

I need a good idea for a funky present for my brother, who is a pretty good all grain brewer.

He has most the kit and a blichmann beer gun some I'm looking for a wow factor.

I'm currently getting a friend who is a good carpenter to make a custom mash paddle out of maple as a stocking filler.

My brother doesn't post here so there will be no chance of spoilers :)

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

idk what your budget is but if he's not kegging yet then maybe get him a starter keg kit or a piece to the puzzle. If he does keg then maybe you can get him started with a nitro setup.

That would "wow" me!

If you're interested in GingerBread Ale, EggNog Milk Stout or O Tannenbock Spruce Ale, let me know; I can email those to you.

What equipment does he have?

Aluminum brew kettle? Maybe consider a stainless upgrade. Maybe a bigger brew kettle if he's pushing the limits of what he has. How about a thermowell? A sight glass? A bulkhead?

Does he use propane or electric? If propane, maybe a better burner. Maybe get him started on electric, depending on your budget, of course.

Does he need an immersion chiller? Countercurrent? How about a pump?

What does he ferment in? What is your budget? Maybe replace some glass carboys with Better Bottles. How about stainless steel fermenters?

Does he keg? If so, maybe some extra kegs. Or if he doesn't, maybe get him started with a simple setup.

The possibilities are nearly endless. Let us know what he has and what your budget is and we can help you a bit more.

This just caught me in a bit of a mood, but I would love for my brother to get the ingredients to something he likes and join me on a brew day, just for the time together. I'm all for new shiny brew toys too, but just having the bastage around and participating in my favorite hobby would make my day.

Christ I'm getting old and soft.

I'm in Wales. After brewing for a couple of years the thing I could do with is a better grain mill. Currently it takes me a good while to mill 5kg of malts. Not sure if he'd be in the same situation! A good quality wooden vat for aging or a cask for conditioning are also good ideas. Depending on what he likes to brew, a small collection of expensive pelleted American hops would probably be very welcome!

Back