Uhhhhhhh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fremsn

Reaction score
Ok here is something for the experts on here. I am wondering about a couple of things. Now remember I am new to all this but:

1) Can you guys take a look at this recipe and tell me what you think? It is suppose to be like a Blue Moon Clone, but I am thinking that something is off.

OG: 1.053, IBU: 16.5, SRM: 3.8

4 lbs Wheat LME
2 lbs Pale LME
4 oz Aromatic Malt
4 oz Wheat malt
3/4 oz Willamette [:60]
1/2 oz Willamette [:15]
3/4 oz Bitter Orange Peel [:15]
1 tsp Coriander [:15]
1/4 oz cascade [:01]
1/2 oz Bitter Orange Peel [:01]
1 tsp Coriander [:01]
WLP400 Belgian Wit Yeast

2) I got BTP from the DW for my birthday, and I put this recipe into it and when I get to the style selector and pick 16A everything goes here and there. Should I change something in the recipe or and I picking the wrong style selector? Maybe I need to drink more, and I am just to sober!

Disclaimer: I am not a pro!

But the recipe looks fine, although I think the OG is a bit lower than you have there. Not 100% sure about the aromatic, but I'm sure that'll be fine, as its only a few oz. I think your problem may be from thinking that Blue Moon is true to the wit beer style. From what i understand, it is kind of a wit, and kind of a weizen? Some people say it doesn't even use a true belgian yeast, but I'd stick with your yeast choice.

Check out https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/blue-balls-belgian-wit-blue-moon-clone-24978/ for what is supposed to be a good clone recipe (I haven't made it).

This really is a partial mash recipe, although the quantities are small. The 4oz wheat malt is necessary because the aromatic will not self-convert. You will want to mash the grain at around 150-160F for 30 minutes or so. However it is essentially the same as extract w/steeping grains.

Also, I suspect it will come out a bit darker than an actual Blue Moon.

Commercial beers tend to be a little off when it comes to exact styles. You have to remember that a majority of the people drinking these beers know absolutely nothing about brewing.

16A is the correct style category for a Belgian Wit.

The recipe does look a little off to me. The aromatic malt and cascade hops are what throws me off. Honestly...I only like Blue Moon when it's the only thing on tap at a typical bar that's worth drinking. If you're looking for a good wit recipe, go elsewhere. Hoegarden(sp?) and Celis are WAAAAAY better beers to try cloning. Check out my Wit recipe. It's a basic Belgian Wit and it's incredibly good. Leave out the cinnamon (my secret spice basically) and anyone who drinks it won't know the difference between it and blue moon.

50/50 wheat/2-row addition is all you need for you malt bill. Find a good wheat extract, mix it with some light extract, add some saaz hops, corriander and orange peel, you have yourself a good Wit. Simple.

Back