Uh-oh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBKing

Reaction score
So I brewed two batches of beer today, the first one is a Honey Bee Ale from Midwest Supplies that I used a starter for. So far so good.

The second one is EDMEs wheat beer (with the pic of the shark on the can). I picked this up at the LHBS last weekend as something to brew real quick so I have beer to last until the properly conditioned pipeline opens up.

Anyways....

I grabbed 2 bags of plain light DME for it, not realizing that I already had a bag of it here at home. So I got to brewing and decided I'd get slick and add the third bag into the mix and see if I couldnt boost the ABV a little.

My O.G. was a bit off, but not so much that I was worried (supposed to be around 1.043 I think, turned out just shy of 1.050), so I added the hydrated yeast and said "See ya in a few weeks!" and set it out next to the closet where I planned on stashing it.

When I went to put it in the closet it wasnt bubbling, but after I picked it up it went crazy and started bubbling like mad. I looked down and noticed water (not beer) around the grommet seal. Upon further inspection, there was beer/wort on the lip below the lid.

I'm now concerned about a blow-out. Especially since I havent bought any equipment to deal with this (buying with X-mas $). I put a trashbag under the bucket, 1 over, and another under again, just to make sure.

In the year that I've been brewing I havent seen this. Should I be concerned about a blowout or am I being paranoid?

Any adivce appreciated!

:mug:

JUst go to lowes or home depot and buy some tube if your worried at all, 4 foot will not cost more than $2. Attach it to your air lock and run it to a bucket/can of water below. Your cleanup time is worth more than the $2/

JUst go to lowes or home depot and buy some tube if your worried at all, 4 foot will not cost more than $2. Attach it to your air lock and run it to a bucket/can of water below. Your cleanup time is worth more than the $2/

You're right. I was thinking about this but its after 9 on a sunday and I live in a small town.

Hopefully my brew will make it til tomorrow after work. IF its gonna blow at all.

I brewed a wheat beer this fall and i also put extra malt extract to boost abv it fermented VIOLENTLY for 3days. I also didn'tadjust my hops accordingly the result was too sweet for my taste everyone else liked it though

Looks like we're all good.

The bubbling has decreased a bit. Its still going pretty hard but I'm not NEAR as worried about it now.

I did that once. Except I wasn't paying attention to it and walked down after about 2 days. Beer was in my airlock and all over my lid. I took off the airlock and washed the lid in santizer, while the airlock soaked. I put everything back together and Humpty Dumpty was fine in the end.

Back