Uh oh! Too much priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woops

Reaction score
Not sure if this should go in this forum or in the bottling/kegging one.

I had a cider ready to go, and set everything up to bottle today. I put a 1/2 pound of lactose and 1/2 cup of priming sugar in, as I had a 4-gallon batch of cider. Got everything rigged up, started siphoning the cider into the bottling bucket...

...then along comes my 60 pound bulldog chasing a tennis ball at full tilt. Straight into my legs, siphon falls out of the bucket, I fall over, cider draining everywhere, my dog thinks it's hysterical and starts jumping on me...

...yeah, bad scene. Funny if you're an outsider, but I'm just glad nothing was broken.

Anyways, I lost about a gallon of cider. Proceeded as usual (dog licking up as much cider as he could) and got it all into bottles. Then I realized that I had 4 oz of sugar for only three gallons of cider.

Is that going to create a problem? Should I be really worried about bottle bombs? Or is 4oz of priming sugar for three gallons of cider acceptable? And can a dog get drunk off of a gallon of cider? I'm tempted to just let him clean the entire floor up for me; he's been licking it for about fifteen minutes now.

Thanks, folks.

I imagine a dog would be drunk after a full gallon, I think I would be feeling pretty damn good after a full gallon and I've got your dog by 150 lbs haha.

You should be ok, that is certainly more priming sugar than a standard carbonation. But a lot of people up the priming sugar for ciders because of the thinner body anyway. I would wait for someone to confirm the level of carbonation that would create, but I imagine you will be fine. But keep an eye on them and if you are really worried, when they are carbed to your liking, throw the rest in the fridge and you should be ok.

That is a funny scene to imagine.

You could get an idea for how over the top your priming is by filling in your info here:

The Beer Recipator - Carbonation

I believe that 4 Volumes of CO2 is the upper limit of what should be in a beer bottle. That is a vague recollection so don't hold me to that...or maybe someone else on here knows better than me!

Yeah looks like with that calculator, you would need more along the lines of 5oz per 3 gallons to get to 4 volumes, so you should be fine.

Back