uh oh old bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

payton34

Reaction score
i thought i scored when my neighbor gave me three cases of bottles that have been in his basement since the seventies. some have a 1961 on the bottom. they felt different so i capped one to see if they were the same size as modern bottles, everything was good so i washed a case. started bottling and my bottle wand would not fit in the bottle. had to take the springy thing of the wand to get it to fit. what a pita.no more old bottles for me

I'm kind of confused as to what kind of bottling wand you have :confused:...mine is just a hollow tube with a push valve on the end. I've used it for everything from stubby bottles to the old ones you describe (I have about 15 cases of them) to champagne bottles.

some 1/2" bottle fillers have a pretty thick black cap on the spring end and are tight/impossible with returnable bottles. 3/8" bottle fillers aren't a problem

my bottling wand has a thicker end that houses the spring and the little post that opens when pressed into the bottle

Back